good 12U game on ESPN last night

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Did you see those two 12U games on TV last night?

(a) A shortstop threw the ball to the backstop returning the ball to the pitcher last night while returning the ball to the pitcher.

(b) The centerfielder let ball go through her legs to the fence.

(c) Pitcher walking the lead-off hitter inning after inning.

I wish park district coaching would get better...

JRW

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This is often what happens in a volunteer-based sport where coaches have little incentive to learn and get better. Most of them are just moms and dads that are happy to give some time so that the kids can have a good experience.

Baseball is no different and so are a few other sports that are heavily relying on volunteers to coach. Good will is great but it doesn't replace knowledge and experience.

In some sports, the fact that you go to clinics, courses and conferences help increase your pay a bit. That can be an incentive. Here in Canada, each sport has certification courses for coaches. In a sport like softball, the most motivated take the courses but most feel like they don't have the time to spend a weekend attending such as a course.

So, we want kids to move and need volunteer but not everybody is well-trained to be a good coach. That's just the reality. Is there a solution? I don't know. Maybe technology with the internet will allow over time more coaches to learn about the game with videos, and online resources.

Let's hope so.

Marc

May 5, 2008
OMG!

I didn't get to see the games. It was my DD's biday and high school graduation at the school where I coach.

I'll have to keep that first post in mind today as I sit and watch my oldest's 12U tournament today. It'll help me remember to keep things in perspective. ;P

May 5, 2008
DD's team lost. Had moments like described above, but mostly an aversion to going hard after bloopy hits and actually catching them.

Next game about to start, will check in later.

May 7, 2008
HOLY SMOKES! Did you see how far OUTSIDE the pitcher's plate Mowatt strides! Every pitch is illegal.

Why have rules???

Keith

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I'm not sure whether Mowatt is outside the pitcher's plate or not. She doesn't look as far over on the camera behind the plate. Keep in mind that the camera in CF is offset pretty far to the side. The parallax can be deceiving.

Either way, it's no longer an issue.

May 7, 2008
Ken,

Camera angles? Parralax? Your kidding...right?

Making excuses will not fix the problem. She was illegal in AT LEAST 75% of her pitches AND it still matters!

Keith

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2