Going to lessons~What plan and path did you take?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A lot of great replies. A huge issue with private instructors occurs when the private instructor and the team coach are not on the same page. Conflicting instruction from the coach and the private instructor can create a nightmare in a young girls head.
Great point!
Conflicting coach vs. instructor.

How do people approach that?

Feb 3, 2016
Great point!
Conflicting coach vs. instructor.

How do people approach that?
I think most HC's that have been around have instructor's they trust with correct techniques/style, etc.. Stay away from old baseball teachers with "hit down on the ball" garbage. (Grounder's) will happen but don't encourage it...Run from those folks! Every coach in fastpitch would appreciate that!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2018
A lot of great replies. A huge issue with private instructors occurs when the private instructor and the team coach are not on the same page. Conflicting instruction from the coach and the private instructor can create a nightmare in a young girls head.

This is exactly what my daughter has been going through for 2 years now. She loves her hitting instructor. She’s been going to him for quite a while. 9th grade and 14u she was doing great. Absolutely killing the ball. Then her team disbanded. She starting with a new team for 16u and she ran into a coach that not only disagreed with her swing but he tried to change it. (Linear vs TTB launch angle) That wasn’t bad enough but he vocally put her down in front of teammates. She ended up on a new team for first year 18u. The coach wasn’t as bad as the one at 16u but he did say he didn’t agree with it. The problem was this got in her head. She has anxiety and she is working through some confidence issues right now. This isn’t all due to softball. I’m not blaming her anxiety on those coaches but it didn’t help. I thought she was doing better and I hope she is, but she landed on another team and she claims to like the coach but he also is a linear swing guy. It seems that style isn’t popular in the NE but I hear it is popular in the South. She got recruited to a college who’s coach is more in line with the TTB launch angle type swing. She wants to have fun in her last 18u summer. If she gets over her nerves at the plate and the fear of failure, and then having coaches yell at her, I hope she does. (Not that they will actually yell at her, but she’s got to get past the fear of it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 6, 2016

Yes it can. Way back before coaching my DD I was a HS baseball coach and handled pitchers/catchers. This was back in sort of the beginning of players using personal coaches for hitting and pitching mostly. It creates a real problem when I'm trying to teach one thing and the player responds, "Well my private coach says....(fill in the opposite...)." It got worse each year.

My biggest problem was when the bad private coaches BS the kid and parents on how great their child is as if they have D1 talent just to keep getting paid $$....when in reality they can't even crack the starting 9. Parents believe the hype.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Its interesting to read the stories of conflicting coach to instructor.
Because there are teams that have requirements everyone must have a hitting instructor.
Those teams coaches arent focussing on changing hitters.
Rather will offer feedback to take to their instructors.

If a coach has some players who have instructors, and other players not.
What would be the time better well spent?!!!

It is reasonable that a coach have goals for their players.
And players should have goals.
Seems the goals should be the same regardless of mechanics!

Feb 3, 2016
Had a list of private instructors that we would steer our players from and we had some we'd highly recommend to help players too.

Some of these instructors flat out sucked. Those instructors kids sucked, the teams they coached sucked yet some parents would still go to them for DD instructional help!!!!...????

Those players via parents decisions are never, ever going to compete at any level except the lowest levels using those terrible instructors. Had to tell one parent to make a decision stay and never pitch again for our team or they could leave if that was a deal breaker. We did offer free coaching staff lessons to get them back on track prior to the ultimatum.

May 3, 2016
While coaching my thoughts are if you are paying for private lessons I’m not gonna change things. But if they are struggling to be successful for an extended period of time we will have a discussion to try and find a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 24, 2019
My young dd has seen 4 the very first one was the one that showed her all the basics and after a year she wasn’t improving anymore with him I guess they get to that point where both crash into wall( I have nothing bad to say about him he brought her from ground up) this was 2 lessons per week. Then after that we started seeing a former college coach, it was good it corrected her a couple of things but it was like some of y’all said he was just there standing seeing her telling her what’s wrong or what she needs to correct ( keep in mind my daughter was 9 at the time) all the covid stuff happened coach left , fast forward a couple of months we got a hold of a coach and his daughter (lefty college pitcher) this made a change day and night this guy and his daughter are involved in everything and being that the college pitcher is lefty it’s like a mirror to my dd , dd loves it, they have been showing her a lot of stuff and dd picking up quick, now since everything is opening back up it’s been a little hard to take her to them due to work and her being a student at college. So we set up some classes with a very well recommended coach (bad idea just mess her up), decided to put my coaching hat 🧢 and now I am her coach lol with everything I’ve learned from all those PC, waiting on that girl to have time to take my DD back to her,
Sorry I know it’s a long story

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Had a list of private instructors that we would steer our players from and we had some we'd highly recommend to help players too.

Some of these instructors flat out sucked. Those instructors kids sucked, the teams they coached sucked yet some parents would still go to them for DD instructional help!!!!...????

Those players via parents decisions are never, ever going to compete at any level except the lowest levels using those terrible instructors. Had to tell one parent to make a decision stay and never pitch again for our team or they could leave if that was a deal breaker. We did offer free coaching staff lessons to get them back on track prior to the ultimatum.

What age is this applied to?

Was your list of good / bad
Based on what you saw the student player doing?
Or
What the instructors are teaching?
Did you actually attend those lessons?

Nov 15, 2019
Conversation with another DFP poster brought this topic to consider.

How long do people stay with their instructor?

This discussion has a lot of different directions it can go please take it where ever it may go!

Heres some thoughts~

When deciding to go to lessons what was your goal? Short-term, long-term?
At what age? Why?

is there a certain amount of time that would be reasonable to apply to any new instructor you go to lessons for?...befor bouncing to another instructor?

is it better to go to multiple instructors during the course of growing because you pick up different knowledge or find out different things don't work?

Do people think for hitting that all their travel ball coaches are going to be knowledgeable enough to teach them hitting?
or does that actually screw them up and you'd rather stay with one instructor?

How many people started with an instructor and stayed with them and never went to a different instructor?

At what point did you as a parent, who was instructing/teaching your daughter
find your knowledge ended or was limited and you needed to find your daughter an instructor who could provide more knowledge?

How many parents started early age 9, 10, with a paid instructor?

DD started hitting lessons a few months before she made the change from rec to travel (2nd year 12u). We choose the facility because it seemed like it was THE place to go. Everyone we knew that went to hitting lessons went there. We loved our coach, but they were group lessons. We were fine with that at first, but as time went by, the group size went from around 4 girls to 6, occasionally 7. The lessons were once a week for 45 minutes, which meant DD was getting roughly 6 or 7 minutes of 1:1 time in the cage with her coach. We really loved all the instructors there but both DD and I were getting increasingly frustrated with being unable to get private, or at least small group, lessons. I also felt like we were starting to lean a different way on other issues too. We were interested in using Blast, and our facility had no experience with any kind of analytics. I also didn't see a lot of girls going on to play at college, and if they did, it was to a smaller school (nothing wrong with that, just wanted DD to have the opportunity to play at higher level if she wanted). Lastly, I'd been reading this awesome forum for a while and figured out that DD wasn't learning some things that I wanted her to learn. I talked to some really great people on this board who shared their experiences with me. Oddly enough, covid actually helped us make the change. Since there was a pause in hitting lessons, the distance and time away made it easier for DD to let go. We were there for almost 2 years.

She's been with her new coach for about 5 months now. I did a heck of a lot of research to find the right one. We didn't know anyone that went to him but specifically choose him because he's worked with multiple Power 5 and D1 commits. We drive an hour to see him, pay over double what we paid before, and she's learning a new style of hitting. She also hit her first 2 bombs this past month :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812