Going for the out vs throwing it around

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Yes it can be painful but IMO you gain nothing by teaching your 3B to field the ground ball and throw it to the pitcher or all throws from outfield go to cutoff then to pitcher so runners only get one base.

I have on occasion even 12/14U after a bad case of throwing the ball around spend 15-20 minutes just doing star drill throwing around the infield it is simply something that they have to have down cold throwing base to base. Also backing up is key on EVERY play EVERY outfielder should be moving, even if its a routine comeback to the pitcher, RF should be sprinting to backup 1B and CF and RF should at a minimum be creeping forward just so they are closer and at a good angle in case 1B is overthrown an the ball will be thrown to 2B.

Oct 4, 2018
I cringe when my 10U team can't even do two rounds of the star drill.

There are times I want to just do that for 20 minutes.

Sep 18, 2016
We do cuts and relays as part of every single practice so everyone is used to hitting their cutoff and then throwing to whatever bag play is happening. The girls who have been around for the last year are now much better about getting those outs. New girls still doing the rec ball hold and run it in, so frustrating. Teach them how to play the game the correct way from the beginning.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Apr 1, 2017
Every practice we do a "4 corners" drill. Will switch directions and mix in some time where they also practice making tags. Practice and pregame warm-up we do 50/50 drill and add a throw for each bad one. I think 52 is our record so far. One day we'll get that 50....

Both of those drills have made a big difference in our games. There were a few plays this fall where I was thinking "eat it" in my head, and a strong throw made the out, or at least close enough to be glad for the attempt.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
10U-C - At what point do you consider going for the out instead of just constantly “getting it back to the pitcher”?

I don’t want to give up free bases by ignoring a runner who’s already 1/2 way to the next base, but there’s the risk of the errant throw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the out and keep preaching backing up throws. At 10U this summer and 12U this fall one of our biggest issues was half the girls out in the field watching the play instead of thinking ahead and moving towards the next play.

I saw one reply say they only get one base for an errant throw at 10C in their league but that definitely isn't the case here. There isn't much more frustrating than having an easy out at 1st turn into a triple because the whole team decides to play hot potato.

Sep 29, 2014
Go for the out and keep preaching backing up throws. At 10U this summer and 12U this fall one of our biggest issues was half the girls out in the field watching the play instead of thinking ahead and moving towards the next play.

I saw one reply say they only get one base for an errant throw at 10C in their league but that definitely isn't the case here. There isn't much more frustrating than having an easy out at 1st turn into a triple because the whole team decides to play hot potato.
Doubling down on my previous post about backing up....every player needs to be thinking every play where they should go almost everyone should be moving even if you are just coming forward from the outfield on a routine play or just covering your base on the infield at second and third when the play is at first...everyone has a proper place to be in every situation.

Apr 17, 2019
Doubling down on my previous post about backing up....every player needs to be thinking every play where they should go almost everyone should be moving even if you are just coming forward from the outfield on a routine play or just covering your base on the infield at second and third when the play is at first...everyone has a proper place to be in every situation.
Starting with 8u, I drill into the girls the 3 B's. Ball, Base, Backup. In that order. First priority is get the ball. 2nd is base coverage. 3rd is backup - if you're not doing one of the first 2; find something to back up. Everyone moves on every play.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA

Agreed, it also helps at the younger ages where outfield isn't the most exciting position and nobody wants to play OF. If they are doing what they're supposed to be doing not a single outfielder should be standing still whether its a shot to CF fence or a grounder to third.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802