Going for the out vs throwing it around

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
10U-C - At what point do you consider going for the out instead of just constantly “getting it back to the pitcher”?

I don’t want to give up free bases by ignoring a runner who’s already 1/2 way to the next base, but there’s the risk of the errant throw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
At 10U-C level, a high percentage of throws lead to issues that cost a lot more than 1 base. Keeping control of the ball tends to work out better. That said, you also want to teach how the game should be played. That's the rub ;)

Nov 18, 2015
Which is exactly my reason for starting this topic - teaching the game doesn’t always go over well when it looks like we’ve reverted to 6U tee-ball. :)

May 7, 2015
SoCal
for my teams (12u rec and u8 baseball), we have outfield always throwing to a cut off (middle infielder) or if close enough straight to 2nd. I'm a big proponent of teaching the team to cover every bag on every play. If there is some crazy running going on, I have the team throw for outs. At least I have my best athletes with their hands on the ball trying to make an out. I also teach them to close the distance via running at a runner in between bases.

I never ever teach throwing directly to Pitcher, 3B, or Home from the OF. Total recipe for disaster.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Which is exactly my reason for starting this topic - teaching the game doesn’t always go over well when it looks like we’ve reverted to 6U tee-ball. :)

Learning to control the ball is part of the game. Learning when to make a throw and when to hold the ball is part of the game. If you can just eliminate throw attempts that have no chance of getting an out, you'll save countless free bases given up. Maybe focus on that part of the game for a little while. My DD's 16U TB team - and their counterpart 18U team - still work on throwing the ball around the 4 corners (base to base) on a regular basis. The fundamental skills of throwing and catching can never be good enough.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
10U-C - At what point do you consider going for the out instead of just constantly “getting it back to the pitcher”?

I don’t want to give up free bases by ignoring a runner who’s already 1/2 way to the next base, but there’s the risk of the errant throw.

After you've drilled your team so thoroughly in throwing and catching that the chances for an out are greater than those for an error. Make your practices about throwing and catching. Lots of "round the horn" and relay drills. Everyone does them, regardless of position. Work on positioning, catching on the correct side, footwork, and the accurate throw / proper tag. Emphasize that over situational stuff until they get it right.

Aug 2, 2019
You gotta just let them try to make the play. 10c they only get one base on the overthrow. I know that can lead to scores, but sometimes, man sometimes the girls will make a play that’s just incredible. We won a game last year from two incredible plays in one inning that should have never been attempted. Next thing you know, every other game they were making those plays.

They’ll kick the ball around and it’ll drive you crazy. But you won’t remember that. You will remember when Sally slaps a no look tag after catching the ball in a dead sprint racing the runner to the bag.

Sep 21, 2019
I have had success in gradually introducing stages of the game. For instance, my infielders start out by attempting the out at first regardless of where’re runners are before the ball is hit. Once they have that mastered, I step up to getting the out at second ect. Out field is taught to hit the cutoffs SS and 2B.

I teach my players to take 2 quick steps in the direction of the ball every time it is hit no matter where it is hit to and then to cover their base. That goes for out field too. I want every player moving towards the ball.