Go to 2nd on a walk

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

EJL

Jun 24, 2008
Emmetsburg, Ia
When I coach an ASA team I always use aggressive baserunning. Here's something that I do and have seen others do as well in ASA but for some reason NO High School teams in our area does this, including our own.

Less than 2 outs (sometimes even with 2 outs depending on the situation). Runner on 3rd. Batter gets walked. I always send them around 1st and directly to 2nd. In the early part of the game we generally have someone throw on us, until they realized that we just scored. Then we get the free pass to 2nd from then on.

We have had 1 team put up a great defense to this, but otherwise, it always has worked.

Comments?

Ed

May 12, 2008
Sorry to be too brief. With an infield that catches and throws very well and knows where and when to throw it, that offensive strategy will result in at least one out and no score and sometimes a double play. Run till you bump into a team like that but be aware it won't work forever.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
We do the same thing when at bat....one defense for this is after ball 4 have the catcher immediately fire the ball to the pitcher, who then fires to 1st base....1st baseperson holds the ball in the baseline just off 1st...runner tries to advance to 2nd, she is tagged out.....runner tries to come home from 3rd, 1st base fires ball to catcher for the out....this defense will work for better teams, who you can depend on to throw and catch multiple times in quick succession.

EJL

Jun 24, 2008
Emmetsburg, Ia
Mark, in these parts we have only met one team who defended this. Between HS ball and ASA tourneys we have played a TON of games, and just the one team stopped us.

And the way they stopped us was by doing just what 3'sDad said. Just wondering why more teams don't use it.

Ed

May 7, 2008
Ed,

That play rarely works after 12U. Once teams have real catchers, they just do what 3's dad explained. I can't remember that play working even one time this season against DD's team.

Keith

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ed, you are truly a genius.

I watched the entire CWS this year, and I didn't see anyone do it. And, the last time I watched the Olympics, I didn't see any teams do this either. So, you better call Mike Candrea quick and tell him about this, so that the US can coast to the Gold this year.

Jun 10, 2008
We ran this play quite a bit in our high school season with 100% success. I had never seen it defended to stop it either in high school or JC using it with the teams that I have been a coach on so the defense that has been suggested here would seem to get the job done and now I will prepare my teams to stop it in case someone would think of using it against us next season.

May 12, 2008
There are several strategies. The one described works well for the walk. Now you need a strategy for the next pitch. In the end you have to be able to catch and throw...hard. No harm running till you can't though. Take what the defense gives you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802