Glute activation in pitching (props to Coach James)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Just when I thought there was nothing more to know about pitching mechanics...we get two threads in a week about glute activation.

Coach James mentioned the "crack a nut" idea in order to stop monkey butting. This was followed with the inevitable "you are wrong" message.

I did some quick internet searching and *SURPRISE*, there are many discussions about glute activation in the golf swing. And, yes, some articles mention squeezing the cheeks during the golf swing.

The golf swing for the middle irons is very similar to the fastpitch motion. So, if glute activation is a big deal in golf, and it almost certainly s a big deal in pitching.

This is from article discussing tests for determining whether the golfer has sufficient glute strength:
Stabilize your Swing

The deep squat test will determine whether you have the necessary range of motion and strength in the lower body and core to maintain your posture and hence stay stable during the swing. Take your five iron, stand with your feet shoulder width apart and hold the club overhead in both hands facing forwards. Without letting the club move forwards or your heels come off the ground, try to perform a deep squat with your knees bending at least 90 degrees while your butt moves towards your ankles. If you did it fantastic odds are you are going to have a good chance of being stable during the swing. If you failed the test try it again without the club instead putting your hands behind the neck with the elbows touching your ears. If this was also difficult or your heels came off the ground there may be a problem with your ankle and calf flexibility or core strength. Take off your shoes and kneel on your right knee while extending the left knee forwards. Place the butt end of your five iron a fist length from your right foot. While keeping your heel on the ground try to extend the knee until it touches the shaft. Could you do it without your heel coming off the ground? If yes that is good. If no, then odds are you must improve your calf flexibility to stabilize your lower body. 99% of golfers who can’t deep squat will have instability in the swing.

The low bridge test shows whether the glute (butt) and core muscles are able to fire correctly and stabilize during the swing. The glute muscles are the “king” when it comes to stabilizing the swing and generating power. The test will reveal to you whether the hamstrings or lower back are trying to stabilize verses the glute. You must first lay flat on your back on the ground with your arms extend over your chest with your knees bent at 90 degrees. From here lift your pelvis off the ground, try to keep your belt line parallel to the ground and extend the right leg forwards from the knee. Try to hold the position for ten seconds. If your pelvis on the right side drops or the left leg shakes this indicates instability in the left side glute muscle. If the hamstring or lower back starts to cramp that is indication that those muscles are incorrectly trying to stabilize inhibiting the glute and instability will occur. Repeat for the other side. If both sides were easy then you have the ability to stabilize your lower body. If it was tough which is likely for most amateur club golfers you need to learn to use the glute muscles.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The trick is explaining this to the kids without getting an awkward look from the kids/parents/catchers. I use glutes/sitting muscles.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The trick is explaining this to the kids without getting an awkward look from the kids/parents/catchers. I use glutes/sitting muscles.

I know that look all too well... LOL
We try to keep it light, and I'll turn around and cover my eyes, so that she can get the peanut in place... LOL I'll say to "just set the invisible peanut in the cheeks." Its awkward at first, but once they start to understand the importance of core and hip stabilization from 9:00 into release, and how its an energy transfer into an arm whip, and not a shoulder muscle driven release...it all starts to add up. All my students and their parents (hitting and pitching) know what "CRACK A NUT" means.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Crack a nut doesn't feel or make sense from a deep squat position (at least for a quad dominant athlete). Cracking a nut while going into plant isn't hard to do, but it seems to primarily generate front side hip extension into and after release. In my experience, it does not significantly increase glute usage during the drive phase when it was needed. Just keep this in mind when analyzing a pitchers form. Just because they might end tall and look good at release doesn't mean they got there the right way. Video analysis looking for early rear hip extension is continually needed until the athlete proves to accomplish the task regularly.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
I've mentioned before, there are two subgroups of athletes.

A. Those who inherently activate glutes on demand
B. Those who don't

At the higher age groups (maybe 14U+) if the pitcher is not able to meet the checkpoint of off the rubber at 3 o'clock, they have a problem. The good news for those in group A is that good conditioning and strength programs will get them there. For athletes in group B, it will not.

As group A and B athletes condition together in HS, group A athletes continue to diverge from the group B athletes... Right now, there is no clear path for group B athletes to move to group A. In the world of problem solving, we are still in the first step, recognizing that there is a problem.

May 20, 2016
DD's PC teaches this. Her approach is squeezing one glut into the other. Being DD is righty she is told to squeeze the right into the left just before release. Seems to help with the rear foot driving forward as well.

Sep 7, 2017
Just when I thought there was nothing more to know about pitching mechanics...we get two threads in a week about glute activation.

Coach James mentioned the "crack a nut" idea in order to stop monkey butting. This was followed with the inevitable "you are wrong" message.

I did some quick internet searching and *SURPRISE*, there are many discussions about glute activation in the golf swing. And, yes, some articles mention squeezing the cheeks during the golf swing.

The golf swing for the middle irons is very similar to the fastpitch motion. So, if glute activation is a big deal in golf, and it almost certainly s a big deal in pitching.

This is from article discussing tests for determining whether the golfer has sufficient glute strength:
Stabilize your Swing

So what you read about on the internet makes it true???

You crack the nutt and try to drive the rear leg. See how it works. I form my opinion off of what I do and what I feel not what some golfing web site says. You sound silly honestly.

I could school you further on glute activation and the female anatomy but you can probably just get on the internet and find it yourself!

Sep 7, 2017
Crack a nut doesn't feel or make sense from a deep squat position (at least for a quad dominant athlete). Cracking a nut while going into plant isn't hard to do, but it seems to primarily generate front side hip extension into and after release. In my experience, it does not significantly increase glute usage during the drive phase when it was needed. Just keep this in mind when analyzing a pitchers form. Just because they might end tall and look good at release doesn't mean they got there the right way. Video analysis looking for early rear hip extension is continually needed until the athlete proves to accomplish the task regularly.

yuuuuuppppppppppppppppppp

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
D UP and JRYAN,
I'm 100% sure you're correct in the context you're implying. Meaning that while they're in the load, squat, or launching position a nut crack is moot. However, (Maybe I'm wrong) But I think the "butt out" that this thread was started for was referring to the moment of release and how to fix a kid who over rotates and hinges forward or stays completely open to avoid brush at that moment. It's at this moment, from 9:00ish to 6:00 that the crack is relevant. And secondly, JRYAN you know personally that the phrase nut crack from me is way more than just her cheeks... It a total body stabilization with max emphasis on energy transferring into the ball. The nut crack is just a way of ensuring her hips are aligned and resistance is stacked from the ground up. When the butt goes outward or there is a hinge, the resistance kinetic chain is broken at that point.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28