Glove size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 30, 2009
Trying to figure out which size glove to use.
16U and learning middle infield. Going to play shortstop and backup second this year. Most what I've read about softball gloves is 12" size or above. Defensive skills instructor says 11 or 11.5".
What size do most College level shortstop/second base players use?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
All I can add to this is that the ball is 12 inches. It depends on the pocket size of the glove, but I don't like a 12" ball in an 11" glove.

There is not the problem getting the softball out of the glove as there is in baseball.

I always advise to go as large as possible. Sometimes that extra inch on the reach can be beneficial. Just make sure the young lady's hand reaches the little finger loop and the thumb stall or loop.

Jan 15, 2009
My 16yo normally catches, but when playing elsewhere she is usually at 3rd, short, or rarely 2nd. I picked up a new glove for her last year and the style I wanted only came in 12.5" and 12.75" versions - and I definitely went with the shorter one. She LOVES her glove (Akadema ATS77 - Fastpitch baseball glove, Akadema Professional) and has no problem getting the ball out of the glove quickly. Kind of a carry-over from baseball, but I've been told/read that you use a longer glove in the outfield, shorter in the infield in order to get the ball out and throw as quickly as possible. (My baseball-playing infielder/pitcher uses an 11" glove, but it just looks WAY too small for softball!). My husband usually plays slowpitch these days, but when he was looking for a new glove a couple years ago, he thought he wanted an 11.5" model for playing shortstop (which I thought was dumb, lol). Eventually ordered the one he asked for and when it arrived, it was too small. He ended up w/ a 12.25" model in the end.

I would look for something in the 12-12.5" range - I'm not even sure for women's softball you can get an 11 or 11.5" glove - I only remember seeing that length in baseball gloves or youth softball gloves (where they are using an 11" ball instead of a 12" ball). Do look for something that is designated as "fastpitch" or "women's" or mentions "smaller/narrow finger stalls" in the description so it will fit your hand better.

And, I have to respectfully disagree w/ the previous post that says there is not an issue w/ getting the ball out of the glove in softball. We had a reasonably talented 2nd baseman on DD's travel team one year that was using like a 13.5 or 14" glove - and there were many plays where it was obvious that she was struggling getting the ball out of the glove. Partway thru the season she got a shorter glove, and there was a noticable difference in her speed in getting the ball to the base for an out.

After a bit of browsing, I did find a Wilson WTA0440 11-BR 11 Inch Fast Pitch Softball Glove that was supposedly an adult model, but that could have been an error in the description. Other than that, the smallest I saw that was designated as an adult softball glove was a few 11.5" or 11.75" models, or many 12"+ models.

May 5, 2008
And, I have to respectfully disagree w/ the previous post that says there is not an issue w/ getting the ball out of the glove in softball. We had a reasonably talented 2nd baseman on DD's travel team one year that was using like a 13.5 or 14" glove - and there were many plays where it was obvious that she was struggling getting the ball out of the glove. Partway thru the season she got a shorter glove, and there was a noticable difference in her speed in getting the ball to the base for an out.

I totally agree with you. For me, as a 2B, I didn't like the extra leather of a 12" - it DID get in the way for me from time to time. I personally use an 11" or 11.5" softball glove. I actually have a Nokona 11.5. I'm not too sure about other brands. I'll see if I can find more information to post here. I haven't been in the market for a older girl's glove for a while and since I have mine, I just haven't been looking. But none of my own daughters have ever used a 12" and maybe never will. Of course, my oldest is only 12 yrs old. I just remember feeling like my 12" was too big at times when I was playing 2B.

Dec 3, 2008
Our college-level middle infielders use a 11.5", a 12" and a 12.25" respectively. All three of them use baseball gloves instead of softball gloves. Louisville, for instance, does not make a "softball" glove without a velcro strap. And, trust me, the quality of a baseball glove v. a softball glove (at least with Louisville) is substantially better in the baseball line. Two of our MIF's use Easton Professional Series and one uses a Mizuno.

Don't get a glove much bigger than 12".

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
This converstaion makes me feel better. I just bought my 9 yo. DD an 11" glove, she wanted the 11.5 version of the same glove. Seeing that most high level players really don't go above 12.5 confirms my choice. She plays with an 11" ball, so I did not want to go any smaller, this glove for her is a step up from the 20 year old baseball glove she was using. Her mechanics were good, but the small pocket was hurting her confidence. She looks much better with the new glove.

Jan 30, 2009
Size of glove and size of daughter

At only the age of 9, you need more to consider the size of your daughter and her hand. Not till HS should you consider a final size glove. Young girls usually have small hands so a 12" may be the correct size but too big for her still. You don't want to buy high price equipment at that age because what if she doesn't last into HS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802