Glove size and type

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
Just want to now what SIZE and TYPE of glove your daughter uses and position she plays. My daughter pitches and plays the infield, not sure if the coach is going to have her play the outfield. What I was curious about is the size of glove she needs and type. She is 14 years old(today is her birthday) height is 5'-4", so this would a BD present.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
My 14yr old plays 2nd base and right filed sometimes. She has had the same glove since she was 10. It is an all leather Wilson A1000. It is a 12 1/2". My youngest, 10yr old, has a cheaper Wilson I think we paid $40 for. It has a leather palm and web, and nylon backing. It was really easy to break in. Its nice and light for her, since she's little. Hers is a 12". She is a pitcher and 3rd base.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD is a pitcher/1B and likes a 12" glove - she is tall with big hands, so you might consider an 11.5" if your DD has small hands. DD is currently playing with a Vinci BV1929-L and loves it. It is a great glove, but like all heavy duty gloves, it took awhile to break in. Casedawg got me a great deal, so I highly recommend contacting him if you are in the market!

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2013
Chicagoland
Vinci RV-1961-L - 12.75 inch glove with dual web.

At 12U used this for outfield. At 14U using for SS.

Currently 13yr old, 5'3".

Took a long time to break in and DD wasn't too pleased with it.
Now that it is broken-in she loves it...

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
DD (10yo) is a pitcher and got the Wilson A2000 12" Cat for Christmas. I followed the break in advice from Wilson's glove guru Aso in the video below and the glove was game ready in no time. It's a beautiful glove and I would recommend it if you looking for an investment glove. [video=youtube_share;eYQ5hmuDVUY]http://youtu.be/eYQ5hmuDVUY[/video]

Jul 23, 2014
DD is 5'4" and we just got a Worth Liberty Advance 13". She plays outfield and is stepping up from a 12" glove. It's a little big for her hand still but with a batting glove on it fits ok. It's going to take awhile to break in though it seems.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
If you go with a 12.5 that is upper end for infield and lower end for outfield recommendations.

Check with Eric F, he is a Akedema rep.

Jan 24, 2009
16yo DD uses a black Rawlings Pro Preferred Kip 12.25" for OF in TB and also at P for HS-V. Loves the quality leather without velcro. There are other darn good options in the previous posts. If she plans to carry a single glove for IF/OF/P then see collin's post above and stick very close to 12.5" for the utility.

Pic of DD's Rawlings and the Vinci that Jad mentioned:

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
When picking a glove, keep in mind that sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. The Mizuno gloves tend to run large, and a 12" Miz is more comparable to 12-1/2" from many other brands. Unless the player is a dedicated OF, I wouldn't go any larger than 12-1/2" for an all-around glove.

Glove size (within a certain range) is largely about personal preference. There are some who like the lighter weight and agility of a small glove, and others who prefer to have a larger glove.

Sep 22, 2013
14yo DD uses a Mizuno Global Elite 13 inch model strictly for OF play. Great quality glove with easy break in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee