Glove recommended for small 8U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 7, 2022
Have a DD in 8U who is a few weeks into softball. Struggling to find a glove for her that works. Bought a $50-60 dollar glove from Dicks but it’s like 9 inch and looks more like a t ball glove so she struggles to catch balls with it. A family member gave us a used 12 inch but it’s floppy and almost too big. Does anyone have any recommendations for a glove for really small hands? And also tips on how to break it in. Thanks a lot.

Oct 23, 2019
When DD was that age in rec level play, she used the Mizuno Prospect Finch series glove, I think in 11" or 11.5". the back of the fingers are mesh instead of leather so no real break-in needed. They aren't high quality gloves by any stretch of the imagination, but they'll be functional for small hands.

Feb 14, 2019
Have a DD in 8U who is a few weeks into softball. Struggling to find a glove for her that works. Bought a $50-60 dollar glove from Dicks but it’s like 9 inch and looks more like a t ball glove so she struggles to catch balls with it. A family member gave us a used 12 inch but it’s floppy and almost too big. Does anyone have any recommendations for a glove for really small hands? And also tips on how to break it in. Thanks a lot.
Those Mizuno's mentioned above can be great starter gloves, but they won't last too long if they see a lot of use. You can usually get them very cheap, but you do get what you pay for. If you want to invest a little more money in a much higher quality glove, I'd recommend looking at Bradley gloves. DD has loved the two she's owned.

Nov 18, 2015
12 inches isn't a bad size for 8U. If you tighten the laces on the glove, you'd be amazed at 1) how much excess lacing you'll have hanging off the glove, and 2) how much just tightening the laces helps to reshape the glove.

If you're really adventurous, take an hour and re-lace the glove. Post a picture of the floppy one and I'm sure you'll get several additional responses.

Oct 4, 2018
That floppy 12" might be just the thing for her.

One of the main issues young girls have is closing the glove (to catch a ball). They love floppy gloves because they are effortless to close. I'd actually work with that a bit before trying and spending on something new.

Aug 5, 2022
Agreed on a lot of these posts. Effortless close is pretty important at that age more so than longevity. Another solid option is the Wilson A1000 and below. They break in easily and have smaller hand stall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 16, 2019
12" Mizuno Prospect Select Series is what I bought my 8 year old when she started playing all summer - super easy to break in. I just replaced it today - she is 11. Hundreds of games and practices and many evenings playing catch. The glove finally gave out in practice Sunday when a fly ball hit in the pocket...and then kept going simply due to the glove being so extremely floppy. Great glove for a beginner.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022
12" Mizuno Prospect Select Series is what I bought my 8 year old when she started playing all summer - super easy to break in. I just replaced it today - she is 11. Hundreds of games and practices and many evenings playing catch. The glove finally gave out in practice Sunday when a fly ball hit in the pocket...and then kept going simply due to the glove being so extremely floppy. Great glove for a beginner.
Can you share a link? Looked around on google and the amount of mizuno gloves is crazy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478