Glove recommendations for 10U - $150 budget

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Good Morning DFP,

Looking for recommendations for a 10U player (rising 5th grader) with a $150 budget. Don't know her hand size, but she's definitely strong, if not big, for her age. I think the glove she's using now is a hand-me-down, but it opens nice and wide, and may be fine with a re-lacing, but her mom asked for help in choosing one, and outside the Akadema 60% off sale, I'm really not finding a fraction of the deals I was expecting due to the virus.

RHT, plays mostly 3B and OF - it's 10U, we still rotate the players, but long term (12-14U), probably a CI position due to a lower top speed..

I'm thinking no bigger than a 12.25, probably stick with 12", unless a particular 11.75 would be suitable for 2-3 innings in the OF per game. Current glove is dark brown or black - I don't think color is too much of an issue.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

Apr 17, 2019
Timely, just shopping for my 11yo, outgrown her Rawlings 11 1/2" sure catch model. I'm eyeing that Gamer series, but a little worried about the stall size - she has small hands with short fingers, and hates having to work to close a glove (hence the sure catch model), but I'd like to get her something with a little more substance.
Any more detail about that glove in particular or a recommendation?

Dec 20, 2019
i have this glove for sale for $150 shipped anywhere in the usa. It's a RHT 12.5 inches , play couch catch with it one time, so it's pretty much new without tag, and still need to breaking it in. Please PM me with any questions.
model number is PRO125SB-18GW

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I self admittedly suck at recommending a glove to a 10U player, my love for brick hard Horween gloves comes out in me every time!

But I can recommend patterns! 12” is the absolute maximum size that I (me personally) would ever recommend to a girl that age!

I’ve never once, ever recommend a Rawlings Gamer before, that model is a G206, so I’m assuming it’s the same pattern and size as a HOH Pro206, so it probably measures 11.75”+.

This model screams the perfect glove for what Gags is asking for! Will it get floppy pretty quick? Yeah, maybe, who knows, who cares?

May 9, 2019
Mizuno mvp prime is below 150. If you can shell out a lil more.. Go with mizuno pro select... You can find them around 200

Apr 28, 2019
Good Morning DFP,

Looking for recommendations for a 10U player (rising 5th grader) with a $150 budget. Don't know her hand size, but she's definitely strong, if not big, for her age. I think the glove she's using now is a hand-me-down, but it opens nice and wide, and may be fine with a re-lacing, but her mom asked for help in choosing one, and outside the Akadema 60% off sale, I'm really not finding a fraction of the deals I was expecting due to the virus.

RHT, plays mostly 3B and OF - it's 10U, we still rotate the players, but long term (12-14U), probably a CI position due to a lower top speed..

I'm thinking no bigger than a 12.25, probably stick with 12", unless a particular 11.75 would be suitable for 2-3 innings in the OF per game. Current glove is dark brown or black - I don't think color is too much of an issue.

At that age
Good Morning DFP,

At that age I would go with a nice light glove with good quality. The Wilson Onyx is a solid choice. Very similar to higher-end A2000 with dual welting and victory web.
The 12.5” plays more like a 12” in size and weight.
There is a guy from Danbury CT on EBay called LLCoach that has an Onyx 12.5 Black/Gray on auction now for $30. Can’t go wrong for that price.
Also like AD’s choice of Rawlings Gamer. You can get previous years models for very good prices.
Allstar was having a sale on their site recently and they had some stellar deals on S7 and Vela gloves. Not sure if it is still going on but $140-200 gloves for around $60.

May 9, 2019
Excellent glove! Just too much glove for a 10 year old unless she‘s abnormally big........or her dad absolutely beats it to a pulp and shortens it’s life right from the start!

Agreed. Had to beat the snot out of it for a week using warm water, mallet, and Nakona conditioner. Still not fully broken in lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802