Glove Recommendation for 9yo DD?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2021
Daughter has been using an 11.5” starter Rawlings fastpitch glove. At 9, she is the youngest on her team. The 11 year olds definitely throw and hit harder, so an upgrade is needed.
Looking for something that will last a couple years, but still reasonable. Prefer to stay under $120, willing to spend a bit more if the performance jump warrants.

RHT, she is tall for her age at 4' 10", 85 lbs. Not a ton of hand strength. Still plays all positions, but I see her as middle infield, or possibly outfield.

Been looking at 12", but could be convinced to go 11.5+.

Here's what we have been looking at so far.

Louisville Slugger LXT 12"
Wilson A1000 P12 12"
Akadema AJB74 12"
Mizuno Prime SE 12"

Most definitely open to, and appreciate, suggestions.

Feb 25, 2020
I like the wilson a950's for this age(for performance of the player!) Either the 11.5 inch baseball model or the 12" aura fastpitch model.

Very light(so important), easy to close right off the shelf, but also some pretty nice, substantial fingers on them.

IMO you'll get less performance out of your 9 y/o going with "more glove" than that.

Apr 7, 2021
I like the wilson a950's for this age(for performance of the player!) Either the 11.5 inch baseball model or the 12" aura fastpitch model.

Very light(so important), easy to close right off the shelf, but also some pretty nice, substantial fingers on them.

IMO you'll get less performance out of your 9 y/o going with "more glove" than that.
Good advice. I'm a bit of a gear nerd, so I tend to go over the top. Definitely don't want the gear to hurt her performance.

Apr 30, 2018
Check out Bradley Gloves as well. The hand/finger stalls are specifically sized for young hands. I would go with the Next Play series. These are geared towards 9-12 year old. They have both fast pitch (FP) and baseball versions. The glove shell patterns are the same between the gloves, but the FP gloves have velcro wrists and the baseball gloves have a laced wrist. A H-web makes a nice all around glove. They have 11.5", 11.75", or 12". Here are a few choices, but search the website as there are lots more. I would stay away from any of the steerhide or kip leather gloves for a 9 year old. Those gloves will be a bit heavier/stiffer requiring more break in and more hand strength.

This one is on clearance.

Feb 25, 2020
Good advice. I'm a bit of a gear nerd, so I tend to go over the top. Definitely don't want the gear to hurt her performance.

Me too! That's why I posted about the a950. Dd has tried all kinds of gloves.

IMO The weight is the biggest thing for the age. My dd uses the 11.5 a950. She does pretty well with it at every position(MI, 1B,C,OF). She's 9 too(tall one like yours). She has the option of some "pro-level" gloves but the a950 gets used the most by far.

Oct 26, 2019
My DD is 10 and she uses a Bradley like the ones linked above. Once she got hers a few other girls on the team went and got one too. I can’t say enough nice things about them.

May 16, 2016
Mizuno MVP Prime Fastpitch Glove $105 at dicks. Nice leather, close to broken in at the store. I'd look for an older black model, Dicks still has them online.

I would actually look at a 12 or 12.5" in this glove (or any glove really). At this age, you need a large pocket to hold the ball. Hands are too small, and not strong enough to "grip" the ball using a smaller glove. It sounds counter intuitive, but coaching two DDs through rec leagues convinced me larger is better at 8u and 10u. If you want your kid to learn to catch properly, then the ball has to stay in the pocket. Smaller gloves, the ball pops out, and they will revert to "basket" catching, because that is only way to keep ball off ground.

One DD used a Wilson A800, also in a 12.5, and I liked that glove as well. But the Mizuno seemed to be a higher quality glove, so that is probably what I would get today. Never held the A900, so maybe the quality has improved.

Dec 20, 2019
Is the mizuno pro select baseball glove in a 11.75 too much glove for a 9 years old? The hand stall might be too big for their hands.

Mar 28, 2021

Attachments

• B48142FD-A68A-4B92-AF09-535EB4CF1C22.png
    B48142FD-A68A-4B92-AF09-535EB4CF1C22.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member