Glove Recomendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2020
Not an opinion, really. Mostly my observation of what good players tend to prefer. Of course, this is prejudiced by my environment.

Based on the last few years of my kids teams (14U, 16U, Varsity HS) and my observations of gloves.
2nd Base are using 11.5 or 11.75" gloves
SS are using 11.5 or 11.75" gloves
3rd Base are using 11.75 or 12" gloves
Pitchers are using 11.75-12.5" gloves
Outfielders are using anything from 11.75 to 12.75" gloves.

I dont think I've really watched much college softball, I know a few current and former college softball players and they're actually using or used baseball gloves instead of fastpitch gloves.

Oct 5, 2018
Any recommendations for a good pitchers glove or things to look for/think about when purchasing? My daughter says hers is too floppy and needs a new one. She's a first year 12 player.

Would like to stay under $100.

Didn't say how big or what level. Generally at this age unless playing very high level ball I'd stay away from the HOH / A2000 gloves even if you find a deal on one closer to your price point. Most girls pick them up after using their pancaked glove and can't even budge them and want little to do with them.

Any of the big manufacturers at your price point are probably going to be good options and you can probably find something for about $75 that will probably last 2 years especially since it isn't goint to be a full time glove.

12 to 12.5 is fine. Since it sounds like her other glove is a 1B mitt, I'd consider any other positions she may play. If MI, I'd go 12. If OF, 3B or backup 1B glove I'd go 12.5.

To me a 12.5 is the most versatile size. Plus I these gloves at this price point that are fastpitch specific seem to run a tad smaller.

The Marucci palmetto***, Mizuno MVP, Rawlings R9, Wilson Aura all fit the bill. My DD use the Rawlings Gamer, which is now the R9 line.

Next step up, among others, would be the Wilson a1000 and Rawlings Liberty Advanced. You're generally going to be doubling what you spend here...150ish vs 75ish. These will break in fairly quick, but will require a bit more work/ time.

***MSRP $150 on this guy more similar to a1000 and Rawlings LA and I've never held one so I don't really know how it compares.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
I really struggle with the whole youth glove thing. I have tried them all I think. I want to buy her the best glove I can get, but an A2000 or HOH is just too much glove for my 10 yo DD. It is very hard to find a glove that is workable and fits the hand for a 10 yo, but still nice with some structure. We have tried the Marucci Palmetto, the Easton pro Fastpitch, the All-Star Vela, and a Rawlings LA. So far she uses the Rawlings as her game glove and the Marucci as her pitching glove. She says the Marucci is the most comfortable glove that fits her hand the best. She has the Kelsey Stewart A2000 that I got a great deal on sitting on her desk waiting for the day she can manage it.

(As I type this out I realize I may have a problem haha)
My daughter had used her A2000 since she was about 10.5 and she's small. If did take a while for her to get it broken in but she has absolutely loved it and has always handled it well. Its on 2nd yr 14s now and she's breaking in a new one but after reading this definitely want to get her original relaced for her.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oct 5, 2018
My daughter had used her A2000 since she was about 10.5 and she's small. If did take a while for her to get it broken in but she has absolutely loved it and has always handled it well. Its on 2nd yr 14s now and she's breaking in a new one but after reading this definitely want to get her original relaced for her.

What level of ball has your DD played since she was 10.5? Local-Rec, C, B, A Tourneys Regional/National B, A ? Just curious, as I wonder if my thoughts are correct that that level glove is more likely to be used by a higher level 12u player vs a lower level player.

Apr 20, 2015
What level of ball has your DD played since she was 10.5? Local-Rec, C, B, A Tourneys Regional/National B, A ? Just curious, as I wonder if my thoughts are correct that that level glove is more likely to be used by a higher level 12u player vs a lower level player.
Shes been with the Beverly Bandits out of Chicago since 10u. IMO there really isn't true national level until 2nd yr 12s but I guess if you had to pick an organization that plays national at 10U this would be one of them

Oct 5, 2018
Shes been with the Beverly Bandits out of Chicago since 10u. IMO there really isn't true national level until 2nd yr 12s but I guess if you had to pick an organization that plays national at 10U this would be one of them

This case falls in line with my thinking. If your DD is top local talent and is probably playing or practicing year round and probably playing 60+ games a year, I'd recommend a HOH or a2000. Most kids are not this.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Had to throw this out there for reference. My DD when 12U and under, played LL and TB all spring, and TB all fall. Probably close to 125 games a year, plus practices. She used the Fortis for 2 years then stepped up another Vinci due to team color changes. Another friend used the old Fortis for another year and its still here in what I what would say is usable condition. Original lacing etc. For the $90 that we paid for it, it owes us nothing. I got it from Drakmir but as stated he's MIA.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
This is an absolute steal...

EDIT: Oops! That's for LHT only. Sorry.

My daughter is 11 years old and 75 lbs on her best day (tiny girl with tiny hands). She plays pitcher, MI, and OF. The struggle to find a quality glove she could squeeze was REAL. She uses a 12" Rawlings LA and loves it. She also has that 12" All Star Vela and can't squeeze it to save her life. The Liberty Advanced seemed to break in MUCH easier for her. Not that the Vela isn't a good glove because it is, it is just really firm out of the box.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Based on the last few years of my kids teams (14U, 16U, Varsity HS) and my observations of gloves.
2nd Base are using 11.5 or 11.75" gloves
SS are using 11.5 or 11.75" gloves
3rd Base are using 11.75 or 12" gloves
Pitchers are using 11.75-12.5" gloves
Outfielders are using anything from 11.75 to 12.75" gloves.

I dont think I've really watched much college softball, I know a few current and former college softball players and they're actually using or used baseball gloves instead of fastpitch gloves.

My DD is a HS senior and will play in college next year. Her primary position is catcher (34”). She also plays 3B (11 3/4”) and 1B (12 1/2)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
:) Nice to see pitchers looking for a good glove...
How about doing some defensive work with those ;)

Great to have a pitcher who's equally a defensive player!

GO PITCHERS !
GO DEFENSE !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802