Glove not closing straight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
It may have been an Antonelli video (or maybe a Wilson ASO video?) - there was a reference that the "preference" for OF gloves is to fold thumb to pinky, and IF to fold more thumb to ring or index finger, as a way of not creating a deep pocket.

For the OP - have you tried just tightening the laces - especially along the top of the fingers? You'd be surprised how much the laces can stretch over time, even on a smaller glove.

Apr 30, 2018
The dad just approached me about it last night right before the game so I haven't had any time to work on it. I'll check the glove out again at practice tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
It may have been an Antonelli video (or maybe a Wilson ASO video?) - there was a reference that the "preference" for OF gloves is to fold thumb to pinky, and IF to fold more thumb to ring or index finger, as a way of not creating a deep pocket.

For the OP - have you tried just tightening the laces - especially along the top of the fingers? You'd be surprised how much the laces can stretch over time, even on a smaller glove.

How interesting. This whole topic of where the glove folds. I never thought about it much.

I let my DD use the glove and show me where she wanted it to hinge/close. She was thumb to index finger. So after we learned that I broke it in that way (with the mallet and such).

May 21, 2014
pics would help but this is how I would proceed:
pull all the laces.
clean it.
this is a pretty finicky step....you will want to use the process of getting the leather damp and then letting it dry to try and get some shape back in the glove. You will want something to form the pocket while it dries. Something like the markwort pocket saving plastic thingy or the insert from a webgem glove system. You really want something that goes to to heel and not just a ball. The markwort piece is great because it's what they are going to want to use to sore the glove after you are done.

I would dampen and dry it probably twice.
Condition
Relace the glove.

That's going to get you back to having the most shape again. The moisture in the leather will cause it to shrink a bit and normally that's bad but in these cases it's what you want. You will definitely want to condition the glove after these steps.

Lace can be added to non-factory locations to help hold shape too, but unless you've fiddled with that before I would tell you not to bother.

Nov 15, 2019
So you've never read the countless times I've talked about pounding the break points at the thumb & pinky with a dumbbell?? DREW......................it was all for nothing!!

Breakpoints of the thumb and pinky...would that be the bottom of those fingers where they meet the pocket?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Breakpoints of the thumb and pinky...would that be the bottom of those fingers where they meet the pocket?
Where the thumb & pinky both come down to the base of the heel.When breaking in that's where I can dictate where it closes........thumb to pinky, thumb to ring, or thumb to middle finger, etc. Of course some of that has to do with how the glove is worn and how the player naturally closes a glove.

Oct 4, 2018
So you've never read the countless times I've talked about pounding the break points at the thumb & pinky with a dumbbell?? DREW......................it was all for nothing!!

I must have missed them.

I watched a lot of videos from the glove-breaking-in gurus. And I feel I did a good job. I worked the heel area pretty hard in several spots -- basically across the entire heel.

But then it just seemed like common sense to let the person wearing the glove tell me where the main break was, rather than forcing her to close it with the thumb touching the pinky.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478