Glove not closing straight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Now if we could just find a deal on those elusive lefty bats Ive always heard about.

Wait a tik! Iffin I bought a right handed outside pitch bat would that be the same as an inside pitch lefty bat?
Dude don’t do this. It can cause casting at the inside pitch. Nobody wants that.

Apr 30, 2018
She is a little above average for a 10u, but not a giant. I was thinking of recommending a 12" H-web as a general all purpose glove. We have her playing a mix OF and 1B. Here are a couple of Bradley's but would like at least one other brand recommendation so she can try on at least a couple and see what works best for her.

Or

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Some gloves have a hinge or are broken in (aka smooshed at the bottom of the bag flat) to fold thumb index... Others have a hinge that goes thumb pinky. Hardly ever do pancaked gloves fold thumb pinky.. Anyway, for 10u, and especially with girls that are having problems catching, go with a 11.75 or 12" max. My DD2 who has small hands plays 1st yr 12's and is currently using a 11.75 Bradley. Loves that glove and it absolutely helped her with catching the ball. She was always able to catch a ball on her bodies midline or anything glove side. Anything that came at her below the belt and back hand, the ball would plop out. The lightness and lack of padding in the palm of the bradley really helped.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I disagree with this, in particular for IF and especially for MI as really for most "catches" in the IF, outside of backhands and extended forehands, you really want to deflect the ball off the index finger and not "catch it". IMO, it is much easier to do that if you have a pocket preserved.

My counter to this would be the pancake glove, which is actually flat and has no pocket at all, is used to train infielders on not "catching" the ball. Intuitively, this tells me a deep pocket for an infielder is the opposite of what we want.

That said, I haven't been an infielder for a long, long time, and I'm open to there being some differences between what you want as an infielder and an outfielder, but if the goal is to actually catch a ball and not have it fall into a basket, I don't want the glove dictating anything. I want my hand to have full control.

Jun 8, 2016
My counter to this would be the pancake glove, which is actually flat and has no pocket at all, is used to train infielders on not "catching" the ball. Intuitively, this tells me a deep pocket for an infielder is the opposite of what we want.

That said, I haven't been an infielder for a long, long time, and I'm open to there being some differences between what you want as an infielder and an outfielder, but if the goal is to actually catch a ball and not have it fall into a basket, I don't want the glove dictating anything. I want my hand to have full control.
With the pancake glove (and with a glove with a preserved pocket) the part you are going to deflect the ball with is "shown" naturally e.g. without having to do much with the hand. With a a flimsy glove if you want to show the pocket you have to open it and to me, from a pure feel perspective, that will not allow the hands to be as "soft" as they can be.

Edit: All that said, a lot of this may be personal preference. There are ML SS that have gloves that are falling a part and they seem to do just fine 😁

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom