Glove not closing straight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
A parent on the team approached me before a game today about an issue with his DD's (10u) glove. When she squeezes the glove closed, the thumb is sliding over to the middle finger or even the index finger. It would explain why a fair number of balls hit her glove, but fall out. The glove is a 12.5". I didn't pay attention to the model, but it was soft and floppy with no shape to it. She is a lefty so I wasn't able to have her try one of my DD's gloves. We have practice on Thursday so I'll take a closer look at it, but wanted to see if anyone else had some input. Is this something she is doing strange with her hand, a function of a worn out cheap glove, a little bit of both, or something completely different?

Dec 20, 2019
A parent on the team approached me before a game today about an issue with his DD's (10u) glove. When she squeezes the glove closed, the thumb is sliding over to the middle finger or even the index finger. It would explain why a fair number of balls hit her glove, but fall out. The glove is a 12.5". I didn't pay attention to the model, but it was soft and floppy with no shape to it. She is a lefty so I wasn't able to have her try one of my DD's gloves. We have practice on Thursday so I'll take a closer look at it, but wanted to see if anyone else had some input. Is this something she is doing strange with her hand, a function of a worn out cheap glove, a little bit of both, or something completely different?
it could be a cheap glove. What model is the glove?

if her parent upgrade her glove like this mizuno pro select from walmart for $106. That is a very nice glove for a very good price.

Apr 28, 2019

It sounds like it may be an old hand me down glove that has seen better days.

The glove will “pancake” if it’s not stored properly. ALWAYS have a ball in the glove when it’s not in use to keep it’s shape.

It may be time for a new glove especially if it’s an entry level type quality glove. By entry level I mean anything under $70.

There are always great deals out there on quality gloves if you do your research.

Jan 8, 2019
I would think that a floppy glove would not cause the thumb to slide at all. Quite the opposite, I would expect a floppy glove would go anywhere you want it to go.

So, I'm wondering if there is possibly a hand strength issue? Or has anyone talked to her about trying to go thumb to pinky to try to get her going the other way? Maybe she is just not aware? New player?

By all means, get her a new glove if needed, but if it's a strength issue, a new glove may never close in her hands.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The glove will “pancake” if it’s not stored properly. ALWAYS have a ball in the glove when it’s not in use to keep it’s shape.

I see this a lot, but man, I hate this advice. I get a new glove and I immediately flatten it as much as possible. I don't want it to have a "shape" other than flat, because it's just much easier to catch a ball with a flattened (but not too floppy because we don't want the ball slipping out) glove than one with "shape."

Get a glove, beat it to death, make it into a giant version of your own hand, and catching the ball will be so much easier than trying to work with a glove that's been molded into an uncomfortable round shape because you've kept a ball in it. A glove isn't meant to be a basket.

Edit: This isn't a shot at you, MadBandit22. You're saying what many around here say. I just think most of the advice surrounding gloves makes gloves much, much more difficult to actually use.

Jun 8, 2016
I see this a lot, but man, I hate this advice. I get a new glove and I immediately flatten it as much as possible. I don't want it to have a "shape" other than flat, because it's just much easier to catch a ball with a flattened (but not too floppy because we don't want the ball slipping out) glove than one with "shape."

Get a glove, beat it to death, make it into a giant version of your own hand, and catching the ball will be so much easier than trying to work with a glove that's been molded into an uncomfortable round shape because you've kept a ball in it. A glove isn't meant to be a basket.

Edit: This isn't a shot at you, MadBandit22. You're saying what many around here say. I just think most of the advice surrounding gloves makes gloves much, much more difficult to actually use.
I disagree with this, in particular for IF and especially for MI as really for most "catches" in the IF, outside of backhands and extended forehands, you really want to deflect the ball off the index finger and not "catch it". IMO, it is much easier to do that if you have a pocket preserved.

Last edited:
May 23, 2015

Floppy and flat...doesnt sound promising.

I guess as a last shot Id go to work on the heel of the glove. Wondering if that has stayed stiff while the rest of the glove wore out?

Try "shoe shining' the heel and make sure thats broke in. Smaller or weaker hands wont be able to overcome that stiff heel.

Aside from that...go shoppin! Theres some smokin deals out there for leftys right now.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Floppy and flat...doesnt sound promising.
Aside from that...go shoppin! Theres some smokin deals out there for leftys right now.

Of course there is...you darn lefties get all the good things. Better prices on gloves because stores cant sell lefty
gloves very fast...AND the better batters boxes at every field you go to :)

May 23, 2015
Of course there is...you darn lefties get all the good things. Better prices on gloves because stores cant sell lefty
gloves very fast...AND the better batters boxes at every field you go to :)

Now if we could just find a deal on those elusive lefty bats Ive always heard about.

Wait a tik! Iffin I bought a right handed outside pitch bat would that be the same as an inside pitch lefty bat?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse