Glove conditioner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
With All-Star, I’d imagine it’s made out of steerhide? It really doesn’t specify on their site. The System Seven baseball gloves and the CMW3000 fastpitch mitt are made out of the high end Maruhashi leather.

Feels like the same stuff to me.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Maybe something in the tanning process or a different section of the Hide that lets them label/market it as high end? It’s still going to be steerhide.

Maybe. I don't know. I don't have the same depth of leather fetish you have ;)

Dec 20, 2019
have anyone diy their own leather conditioner?
1. 100% organic cocoa butter
2. 100% organic beeswax
3. 100% organic sweet almond oil

melt step 1 and step 2 together, and once #1 and #2 are both melted; add #3 into the mix and stir well. After everything is mix well; pour into a mason jar and let cool for like 15-20mins.

It's the same ingredients that is used in the Smith's leather balm that amazon.com is selling for $20 for a 4oz tin can.

May 6, 2015
read here somewhere, and tried it, seems good so far, LEabeauf (sic) on the inside to lock out sweat and salt from getting into leather from hand. had DD ( I will never put more than pinky and part of thumb into her glove or mitt) put on an old winter glove (ie thick knitted glove, ha her rummage her hand around in the container of wax, the put into glove/mitt, move all around, repeat a couple of times, then had her put on the winter glove match (albeit on wrong hand) and work that around in glove, to remove excess.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
have anyone diy their own leather conditioner?
1. 100% organic cocoa butter
2. 100% organic beeswax
3. 100% organic sweet almond oil

melt step 1 and step 2 together, and once #1 and #2 are both melted; add #3 into the mix and stir well. After everything is mix well; pour into a mason jar and let cool for like 15-20mins.

It's the same ingredients that is used in the Smith's leather balm that amazon.com is selling for $20 for a 4oz tin can.
per the FreeThePowder (FTP) site they use a couple of other ingredients which would seem readily available and easy to add in to your mix (not sure what ratios). Lanolin and Avocado Oil. Tahitian Manoi Oil? Everyone has that laying around right? haha

Dec 20, 2019
per the FreeThePowder (FTP) site they use a couple of other ingredients which would seem readily available and easy to add in to your mix (not sure what ratios). Lanolin and Avocado Oil. Tahitian Manoi Oil? Everyone has that laying around right? haha
Doesn't Lanolin makes the leather soft and floppy over time?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Doesn't Lanolin makes the leather soft and floppy over time?
My experience with it has been somewhat limited. Used shaving cream on a couple of gloves when my DD's started playing more than 10yrs ago. Their gloves and the cheapie I bought for myself would have been floppy anyways. ;-)

Seems to me that it would depend on the ratio used in the mix, how heavily and how often it's applied. Smarter leather fanatics than me can probably shed some light on this!!

Dec 20, 2019
this is good products from the reviews, but it's kind of expensive for that amount you get thought:

here's a good blog from them:

never seen this technique of breaking in a glove before: got the tips below from the above blog.

Great Break-in Process for a New Glove
August 03, 2017
Once again a great idea comes from our customers.
This is also from Walt H. in the Mobile area. Using our Mitt-Spit Break-in product on a very stiff A2000 baseball glove, Walt came up with a brilliant strategy for speeding up to break-in process.
Using two socks filled with rice that was warmed up in his microwave oven (about 30 seconds), Walt put one warmed rice-filled sock on the bottom of a small soft-sided insulated cooler. He applied Mitt-Spit Break-in to the glove and then put the second warmed rice-filled sock into the glove pocket and laid the glove on top of the rice-filled sock already inside the cooler. Then closed the cooler. About 3 hours later, he pulled the glove out and was ready to play ball!
So here's how that works. The break-in oil is very viscous. So it's loaded with the right ingredients for softening the leather. Because it's so viscous, it takes a long time to be absorbed by the glove. However, the gentle warming of the glove with the warmed-up rice -filled socks reduced the viscosity of the critical ingredient in Mitt-Spit Break-in allowing the leather to rapidly absorb this essential ingredient, rendering the glove fully broken in. Genius!
Thank you Walt for this great idea.
Additional thoughts... Never put a glove in the microwave directly. The microwave function warms something up by agitating the water molecules (H2O) in the target. If you use a microwave to heat food, you know it heats unevenly. If you use it on a glove, then some areas of the leather will dry out much faster than others. You risk permanently damaging the leather. Once damaged, it cannot be recovered. Whereas the rice-filled sock approach gradually and gently warms uniformly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802