Glove conditioner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 6, 2017
I'm sure this has been talked about 100 times but..
Dd has a allstar vela 12 inch glove. It was pretty stiff so I bought a hot glove kit.
It's been great. When the glove starts to get kind of dry in the pocket I apply the hot
glove conditioner in the pocket and rub it in,feather it out.
It seems like about every 5 games or so I apply more. Her glove does show a ball stain
in the pocket now. Just wondering what's best to use?
The conditioner seems to help keep the ball more "stuck" in the glove and gives more pop
when she catches.
Should we use something different since the gloves broken the way she likes it?

May 23, 2015
Do not over do it. The glove will get heavy and lose it's shape. Pocket and palm of the glove twice a year back of the glove once. Lexol is always your best option. I've been using it for 30 years on hundreds of gloves for my teams.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
625 is right, don’t over do it. Unless under extremely nasty or dry conditions I give one good wet cleaning and conditioning just after Summer ball right before Fall ball practice starts. I understand wanting to keep the glove tacky to stop spin but too much conditioner will eventually weigh her glove down. As far as in between touch ups, just a light wipe down with Lexol.

So when you go buy yourself a bottle of Lexol, I’m not saying throw your hot glove kit away, just put it on the very top shelf in the very back of your cabinet;).

Apr 6, 2017
Not sure what the leather is but it’s pretty stiff yet. Tightend up
laces this year and it felt like a new glove again. I’ll get some lexol
and put the hot glove away. Thanks all!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I will use Wilson, Nokona, or Vinci leather conditioner during the initial break-in process, but for routine cleaning and maintenance, the Lexol spray is my choice. The leather on the All-Star Vela fielding gloves is nice - very tight, smooth grain. My DD's 12.5" AS Vela is holding up very nicely.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
So are you guys using the nexol cleaner ?
The cleaner is in the orange bottle, I’ve never actually used the cleaner before. If I have one of our gloves get really dirty, I’ll wipe it off with a damp cloth, make sure it’s dry and then give it a quick wipe with the Lexol conditioner.

Rous, the guy who has restored a couple of older gloves for me, he uses the Lexol cleaner, but he sees a lot of neglected, disgusting gloves! I’ve thought about buying a bottle of the cleaner, but so far the way I do it has worked fine!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Not sure what the leather is but it’s pretty stiff yet. Tightend up
laces this year and it felt like a new glove again. I’ll get some lexol
and put the hot glove away. Thanks all!

With All-Star, I’d imagine it’s made out of steerhide? It really doesn’t specify on their site. The System Seven baseball gloves and the CMW3000 fastpitch mitt are made out of the high end Maruhashi leather.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23