Glove Arm mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
When teaching mechanics with a backswing to a right handed pitcher, do you teach glove to the Right hip then backswing of pitching arm or to Left hip then pitching arm backswing?
Just curious how people are being taught

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
I personally like for the pitcher to cover the ball as much as possible with the glove. So right side.
Do you find that this causes "glove swim" when they start learning to move left hand to right hip?

DD has a bad habit of swimming now and trying to get her to break it, but would like to see her hide the ball also. Afraid if I had her work on covering ball to the right hip that it might make the swim even worse or harder to break.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Keeping the ball in the glove on the upswing can, in some cases, cut down on glove swim. But I have seen examples where it doesn't have much of an effect. It's something to play with.

Jan 28, 2017
Do you find that this causes "glove swim" when they start learning to move left hand to right hip?

DD has a bad habit of swimming now and trying to get her to break it, but would like to see her hide the ball also. Afraid if I had her work on covering ball to the right hip that it might make the swim even worse or harder to break.

I think it helps keep you from swimming. If your hands start left they are going left. Make sure she is thrusting her glove towards the catcher. Easier said than done. This really helped my DD, it is a crunch with both arms like doing an ab crunch. Hard to explain without seeing.

Aug 20, 2017
I think it helps keep you from swimming. If your hands start left they are going left. Make sure she is thrusting her glove towards the catcher. Easier said than done. This really helped my DD, it is a crunch with both arms like doing an ab crunch. Hard to explain without seeing.
Wait, I though we decided glove swim wasn’t evil?

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
I personally like for the pitcher to cover the ball as much as possible with the glove. So right side.
I would love if everyone was out of glove pitching with no arm backswing but my own DD uses the backswing. I make her experiment with different motions and without arm swing. I guess its nice to see pitchers put their own signature on pitching motions and make it their own.

Jan 28, 2017
Wait, I though we decided glove swim wasn’t evil?

i do think it’s over coached but you don’t need to slap the first baseman.
I would love if everyone was out of glove pitching with no arm backswing but my own DD uses the backswing. I make her experiment with different motions and without arm swing. I guess its nice to see pitchers put their own signature on pitching motions and make it their own.

My DD is out of her glove and I tell her every time I see yellow. IMO, it makes it harder to hit if you never see it until it's released. My DD started with Hillhouse videos and can't do a swing back to save her life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802