Glove Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 18, 2018
I am in the market for a new glove. I have been using an old TPS 12.5 (fps1250) for many years. Most of the gloves I have tried on seem to now have a deeper pocket and feel smaller than my current glove. Mine seems to be longer in the fingers if that makes sense. I am looking to stay with a 12.5 glove. Are there any gloves out there anymore that seem to play a little bigger than the listed size? I have looked at the Mizuno MVP gloves but I have doubts of them holding up. I did also try on a Rawlings Liberty Advance and that wasnt too bad. I want to stay under $200 if possible.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I am in the market for a new glove. I have been using an old TPS 12.5 (fps1250) for many years. Most of the gloves I have tried on seem to now have a deeper pocket and feel smaller than my current glove. Mine seems to be longer in the fingers if that makes sense. I am looking to stay with a 12.5 glove. Are there any gloves out there anymore that seem to play a little bigger than the listed size? I have looked at the Mizuno MVP gloves but I have doubts of them holding up. I did also try on a Rawlings Liberty Advance and that wasnt too bad. I want to stay under $200 if possible.
I want to make sure I’m reading this right, you want a longer, more flat and shallow glove? And you don’t care for the more deep and bowl shaped gloves?

Unfortunately there’s not too many gloves that are larger than their listed / stamped size. Don’t get me wrong, they’re out there, just depends on the manufacturer, model, series, and various other things?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Forget about what the numbers on the glove are. They are inconsistent from manufacturer to manufacturer, anyway.

The Liberty Advanced series is a good choice in the under-$200 category. All-Star Vela is worth a look, too. Another option is to look at baseball "outfield" gloves (often 12-3/4"). They might have the feel you're looking for.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Hard not to recommend a Vinci RV1961 here! Kip leather, stamped 12.75” but plays at 12.5”, small hand stall, H-web.

I wish Rawlings offered a readily available retail version of the RV1961 with rough split welting. The Pro302 would matchup head to head with the RV1961.......but it’s only available as a custom on the builder!

May 19, 2016
Hard not to recommend a Vinci RV1961 here! Kip leather, stamped 12.75” but plays at 12.5”, small hand stall, H-web.

I wish Rawlings offered a readily available retail version of the RV1961 with rough split welting. The Pro302 would matchup head to head with the RV1961.......but it’s only available as a custom on the builder!
Ever tried a 44 Pro glove? I thought about getting one for the DD for her next glove. Not a bad price point especially for full customization. Gonna get her a 12” H Web because she’s playing a few different positions between middle school and travel ball. I saw where they had some minor quality issues when they were having manufacturing done in China but have switched to the Phillipeans now.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Ever tried a 44 Pro glove? I thought about getting one for the DD for her next glove. Not a bad price point especially for full customization. Gonna get her a 12” H Web because she’s playing a few different positions between middle school and travel ball. I saw where they had some minor quality issues when they were having manufacturing done in China but have switched to the Phillipeans now.
I’ve only held one once before, for about a minute which was enough time for me to realize I’d probably never own one. This one was pretty soft and floppy, which of course to be fair, I don’t know the background of that glove.

But I’ve read way more negative than positive on the 44 Pros! The main positive being the price! In the arena of customs now outside of the big 3 manufacturers, 44 Pro can’t touch Gloveworks or Glovesmith! But a USA made Glovesmith custom is $300+ but they are as good as it gets! With a custom Gloveworks being ~$200, they’re a great value and extremely well made, beautiful gloves!

Moving to the Philippines can’t do anything but help 44 Pro!

May 1, 2019
DD plays MI my wife and i are torn between a vinci, rawlings and mizuno glove. No bigger than 11.75" older daughter has the rawlings and loves it. Any advice much appreciated!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog