Giving signs from 3rd base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
I pick a body part (generally something I have two of like arms, legs or ears). One touch is bunt, two is steal, and 3 is hit and run. Anything more than 3 touches takes it off. Simple, easy, and if anyone catches on you can switch the body part.

Jun 1, 2015
You can't tell me that a whole signal routine is faster than numbers.

I can when I don't give more than 5 signals per motion, per at-bat. Plus I don't do it every single pitch - I'm not that OCD about it. My girls haven't had much difficulty picking up my messages, and I'm not one of those coaches that needs the 7 basic ballet movements to tell a girl just to bunt. I tell them at the start of the game/inning, "Look for the Xth thing I do", and I usually give them 5 motions (ear, nose, chin, nose, shoulder). Easy peasy, lemon squeezie.

Jun 27, 2021
Touch system.
1. dummy
2. call to batter
3. call to runner
4. dummy
5. dummy

Doesn't need to be too hard. Keep it simple, it all comes down to execution.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
You can't tell me that a whole signal routine is faster than numbers.
I will tell you it is. Having umpired for almost 30 years, the wrist bands have slowed the game down so much, it isn’t fun to umpire anymore. Play the game, quit looking at wrist bands.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It can be something extremely simple camouflaged by a bunch of noise. The less complicated the better. The chances of anyone noticing and figuring out signals is remote. However, DD had a in-game hobby of cracking wristband codes.

Jun 27, 2021
Just do the number system unless you want players to miss calls. I’ve done both. Numbers is much more reliable
Numbers systems are great for scouting. Coaches have tendencies to repeat the same numbers over and over. Easy to note on the pitching side.

Pitch calling was always finger system with first ether a 4 or 5 as a dummy.

1-2-3 was plate location
1-3-4-5 was pitch call. No 2 because universal change up call.
Sequence could go 4-4-4-1-1 dummy, dummy, dummy fast ball outside

4-5-3 screwball in

G&G

Dec 28, 2020
I have found with younger players to usually give the indicator or sign last......because if you give it first or in the middle many players look away before all the signs are given.

Or you could say RED 321, Yellow 524, Blue 132 on every stinking pitch........guess that's the new way. Drives me bonkers
What is the color and number for the “hit the damn ball” play???😂

Oct 4, 2018
I pick a body part (generally something I have two of like arms, legs or ears). One touch is bunt, two is steal, and 3 is hit and run. Anything more than 3 touches takes it off. Simple, easy, and if anyone catches on you can switch the body part.

What is take?

Oct 26, 2019
What is take?
I flash pointer finger out like I am pointing usually with no other signs. I don’t care if anyone sees. I rarely give take to be honest. 3-0 is an automatic take for us unless we have 2 outs and runners in scoring position with the right hitter up.

I have a few other signs I give outside of the normal sign sequence. Some of them are body posture signs (hands crossed, hat off, etc.) and some are verbal.

The number cards are great if the goal is to not have kids miss signs. I bench kids when they miss a sign so we rarely miss them anyway. The bad with the cards outweighs the good in my opinion. They just slow the game down so much it makes me want to gouge out my eyes when we play those teams.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812