Giving seniors an additional year not gonna be easy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2020
You are assuming that Senior was using a full scholarship which is highly doubtful unless the player is a true phenom and then that would apply to top 20 teams.

1 to 4 recruits a year??? Did you mean to say 1 to 4 Seniors? I f you really mean to recruits, that is WAY off. I would say a VERY minimum of 5 recruits per freshman class. One team that I can think of had 14 freshman and 3 transfers. No lie. The freshman class is always the largest class. There is so much attrition year to year in college softball or various reasons that they have to have large recruiting classes. If a coach only brought in 1 freshman recruit, they would not be around next year.
To your point if a school had picked up that many frehman in one class. That would be a college that may have less spots avaible come 5th year.
Speaking rather across the board numbers not the one or two schools you are reffering to. True certain athletes may not stay on. Others may take a cut in funding to make adjustments.
If you add up the money on the entire roster there will be a deficit in the equation somewhere program by program.
If open to going anywhere it may not matter as much.
If selecting colleges for particular reason could be concerning. Coaches recruitment will fall greater to the contingency if players stay or not. In other words coaches will need to assess players who will or will not be graduating in 4 years becomes part of the equation.
Have not read colleges have an increased budget to handle extra scholarship funding. That would alleviate any conversation to this topic.
With the new option to stay and play can only wait and see how that turns out.

Apr 1, 2017
Turned on sports radio yesterday and they were interviewing one of the college reporters (USA Today maybe?). He said that teams still have the same number of scholarships available, but that the returning "extra year" players scholarships don't count as part of the total. However, he also said that the money still has to come from somewhere, so schools could decide to not use all their allowed scholarships.

May 6, 2015
P5 athletic scholarships are guaranteed for four years. A coach can tell a kid they won’t ever see the field, but they can’t pull their money.

Any increases in a students athletic scholarship are year to year.

not true, schools MAY give out multiyear scholarships, but are not required to, and in fact many do not, or at least not to most SAs. and if they have given out a 4 year scholly to someone, and that someone is granted an extra year, it does not commit the school to an extra year of scholly.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
not true, schools MAY give out multiyear scholarships, but are not required to, and in fact many do not, or at least not to most SAs. and if they have given out a 4 year scholly to someone, and that someone is granted an extra year, it does not commit the school to an extra year of scholly.
MNDAD said Power 5 conferences only.

Nov 18, 2013

P5 conferences are required to guarantee athletic scholarships for four years. Academic scholarships are guaranteed as long as they keep their GPA up. I think some mid majors are also guaranteeing four years. Not sure about D2, NAIA and JUCO.

You’re correct if an athlete is granted an extra year of eligibility the school isn’t required to give them any scholarship money. That was the case prior to the Covid pandemic as well.

May 6, 2015
interesting, did not know that was a P5 rule, but is it not an NCAA rule at any level. never did like that year to year thing, thought they should get the scholly for 4 years, unless they flunked out, broke serious rules, tested positive for banned substance, etc.

Nov 18, 2013
interesting, did not know that was a P5 rule, but is it not an NCAA rule at any level. never did like that year to year thing, thought they should get the scholly for 4 years, unless they flunked out, broke serious rules, tested positive for banned substance, etc.

It was part of that Full Cost of Attendance stipend the P5’s approved in 2015. It’s pretty messed up. Head count sports might get 5k per scholarship. So for softball they get the equivalent twelve, or an extra 60k. Problem is coaches don’t have to use it to help athletes pay for misc expenses like it’s meant. They can award it as scholarship money now basically getting 13-14 scholarships to everybody else’s 12. That’s assuming the mid major is fully funded, which many of them aren’t. They’ve got a hard enough time competing without the deck being further stacked against them.

Apr 28, 2014
DD was offered a 4 year package from a mid major. Was told that academic portion (small part of it) was dependent on grades min GPA but athletic wouldn't be touched unless she violated a rule.

Jun 10, 2018
NY
Whats the # of students this would apply to? Talking college #'s?
Seniors?
All 4 years?

Even if some choose not to stay and play another year
( those who can graduate move on)

This would extend the problem into some years to come.

Other poster made a good point, on line schooling finishing this year they are still getting benefit of scholarship $.

We cannot bring back what has been lost.
We can build the future,
that means moving forward.
Imo does not seem smart to limit opportunity for next generations.
They do not need to inherit this predicament!

Millions of people are at a loss without recouping the loss.
It is unfortunet. Even as much as i enjoy and encourage softball. It is a few months of a season lost,... that could affect many more people by this interesting possibility.
I must agree with this last statement! Many are losing ALOT more than softball. Best to keep this in perspective.

Jun 10, 2018
NY
First of all it’s a terrible situation and I understand the unfairness of it all.
But
Why do you (if you do) feel these athletes are owed anything by the universities or the NCAA? How is it the schools responsibility to make this “fair”.
These are adults, they were about to go out into the world and start a career. Frankly this pandemic has hurt these students more from that standpoint then in their athletics. But no one would say these kids are owed a job because they were just about to graduate during the hottest job market in forever. And now it’s not.
Mainly I’m curious on why people think something has to be done.
I agree 100%. Many are losing much more! Softball is a GAME and really isn't terribly important in the big picture here. Its a tough break for senior players but life is like that sometimes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28