Giving seniors an additional year not gonna be easy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
Assuming you are sharing this just to say its a possibility.
Are you considering how that could demolish a program?

*Everyone has taken an impact.
PLEASE NCAA dont pass this to Future Generations to inherit this predicament !

Best of luck to everyone!!

not necessarily advocating this, just stating, pretty easy for NCAA schools to allocate athletic scholarships as they see fit.

Also, how are schools going to handle situations where (for not just student athletes) the students who are doing the rest of this year as online learning (as is my son), but are missing key elements (clinical rotations, student teaching, laboratories, etc.) these are often graduation and or professional requirements.?

I think granting the extra year of eligibility is the right thing to do. $$ issues will have to be on a school by school and possibly athlete by athlete basis. remember, eligibility is not the same as $.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Also, how are schools going to handle situations where (for not just student athletes) the students who are doing the rest of this year as online learning (as is my son), but are missing key elements (clinical rotations, student teaching, laboratories, etc.) these are often graduation and or professional requirements.?

I can only speak for my DD, who only has one clinical left, and that requirement has been removed since area hospitals are not allowing any for the foreseeable future. She will graduate as a junior and move on, but if it could work out she sure would like to pitch one more year.
Pipe dream world she would get a job relatively close to campus that allows her the time off to play ball. Enroll in grad school and take one course the equivalent of underwater basket weaving.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Wonder if they might give us senior citizens a year back to watch the grand kids

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
First of all it’s a terrible situation and I understand the unfairness of it all.
But
Why do you (if you do) feel these athletes are owed anything by the universities or the NCAA? How is it the schools responsibility to make this “fair”.
These are adults, they were about to go out into the world and start a career. Frankly this pandemic has hurt these students more from that standpoint then in their athletics. But no one would say these kids are owed a job because they were just about to graduate during the hottest job market in forever. And now it’s not.
Mainly I’m curious on why people think something has to be done.

Jun 22, 2019
I say just play the seasons when this is over... during the summer or early fall with the teams they have on roster today. No scholarship change, no additional year. Just delay the season until everyone’s panic has dissipated.

Apr 1, 2017
First of all it’s a terrible situation and I understand the unfairness of it all.
But
Why do you (if you do) feel these athletes are owed anything by the universities or the NCAA? How is it the schools responsibility to make this “fair”.
These are adults, they were about to go out into the world and start a career. Frankly this pandemic has hurt these students more from that standpoint then in their athletics. But no one would say these kids are owed a job because they were just about to graduate during the hottest job market in forever. And now it’s not.
Mainly I’m curious on why people think something has to be done.

I agree with you. It's a crappy situation, but it seems like all this will do is double down on the headaches for everyone. For every senior that returns next year, there will be another player disrupted by it. Instead of having one bad spring for everyone, it's now potentially 3 bad springs for underclassmen that were working their way through the system.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I agree with you. It's a crappy situation, but it seems like all this will do is double down on the headaches for everyone. For every senior that returns next year, there will be another player disrupted by it. Instead of having one bad spring for everyone, it's now potentially 3 bad springs for underclassmen that were working their way through the system.
This is a fantastic sentence cougars wrote "Potentially 3 bad springs for the underclassmen that were working their way through the system"

Whomever is the influence behind this decision wish could get a reasonable explanation from.
Or rational for that matter.

This season is done.
Start fresh hopefully next school year or...
Open up 5 years of eligibility for everyone!

Lets move on...

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2014
Looks like they are granting an additional year to juniors and seniors in D1 and D2
Have you seen this reported anywhere? I'm scouring twitter and internet but can't find anything about a decision being announced.

Jan 9, 2018
This season is done.
Start fresh hopefully next school year or...
Open up 5 years of eligibility for everyone!

Lets move on...
[/QUOTE]

Starting fresh is the fairest decision that can be made. If the eligilibilty is upped to 5 yrs for current college players it will effect players in high school for the next 4 years. The loss of revenue that the collages have suffered is going to effect softball programs for years to come. Expanded rosters and/or more scholarships will not happen. Even if they do, there are a finite number of player that can be on the field anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28