Giving seniors an additional year not gonna be easy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2012
The decision with respect to D2 has already been made. This is from the ruling :
"The committee also clarified the application of extension of eligibility waivers. They apply only to student-athletes who would have exhausted their athletics eligibility after the spring 2020 term, and it is not necessary for student-athletes to have used a season of competition in a spring sport during the 2019-20 academic year."

This is a link to the larger article.

Today's ruling applies only to D1.

The above ruling from D2 only applies to senior students.

Nov 5, 2014
Have you seen this reported anywhere? I'm scouring twitter and internet but can't find anything about a decision being announced.
No official word but being reported that All spring athletes will receive an additional year of eligibility.

Aug 25, 2019
I agree with you. It's a crappy situation, but it seems like all this will do is double down on the headaches for everyone. For every senior that returns next year, there will be another player disrupted by it. Instead of having one bad spring for everyone, it's now potentially 3 bad springs for underclassmen that were working their way through the system.
I agree with both of you.....While this mostly affects College (and high school ) seniors, every kid on a spring team from 7th grade and up is losing a season. Not sure why the emphasis is put on college seniors, to do something for them. As long if they are on scholarship and that is honored, then join the rest of us in losing a season. That's life, welcome to the real world

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
Now for every spring college player from freshman to senior who decides to come back, it’s a HS player who will be impacted for future recruiting. Plus, the HS player doesn’t have the option for another year of eligibility and will only play 3 years of HS ball. This is a PC decision based on an initial knee jerk reaction.

I know others will disagree because of their own situation and perspectives, but this decision has a significant ripple effect for younger ball players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
How many Seniors does anyone know that is going to come back and play their 5th year? On DD1 D2 team of the the 5 Seniors only 1 is coming back for a 5th year. The other 4 are moving on. Also, who would want to go into this job market right out of College? My DD1 is going to pursue her MBA and play her 5th year. I have no idea what money, if any will be offered to her.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
So HS seniors are getting screwed twice. No senior HS season, probably not going to get much playing time next spring unless you’re an absolute stud if there are returning seniors. And HS recruits through 2023 will see less recruiting dollars available because every frosh - junior college player on scholarship will probably retain those dollars. Sounds fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asked the Seniors from the late 60’s that got drafted and went to Vietnam, and who many gave their lives for your daughter to play softball, and now you want to complain and bitch about your seniors missing her senior year of softball. Come on find something really worth bitching about......her life won’t be over. And if you are worried about her playing time next year, take this time to work on her mental game. Because you better hope she doesn’t have your mental attitude.

sorry will get off my soap box......

Mar 10, 2020
All or nothing on this one.
Include one include all.
This is only the begining of the ride from this pandemonium.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I say just play the seasons when this is over... during the summer or early fall with the teams they have on roster today. No scholarship change, no additional year. Just delay the season until everyone’s panic has dissipated.
Yea, that will work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood