Girls or Ladies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
For some reason I have never liked "lady." Probably because of growing up always hearing my mom telling me to act like one (a task I found impossible and not really worth working for). I like "players." Sometimes I still say "girls" but my girl is 13 now so I'm working on that.

Jun 8, 2016
I coached my DD's rec basketball team for a few seasons and for the life of me I cannot remember what I used. I do know that when I yelled at "them" it was usually "Marcela!!" which is why I do not coach anymore...

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
For some reason “let’s go players” doesn’t have the same ring as “let’s go ladies.”

So for me it’s ladies or girls because that’s what they are. Not sure why it is considered non-PC to call a female child a lady or girl :unsure:

Apr 28, 2014
Needs to be girls.
When you are looking for talent you need to post "come join this great group of girls".
Great group of ladies sounds weird :)

Dec 11, 2010
Now I'm starting to feel bad about my post, lol.

To be fair, I have addressed them as "ladies" many times but really try to refer to them as "players" as much as possible, especially to parents and in written communications.

I'll be honest, it sticks in my craw daily that our high school treats male and female athletes so differently. That's probably a big part of my beef, lol

May 29, 2015
What would you say to your baseball team? (Note: to and about will likely garner different answers.)

Players? No. So don’t do it with your softball team. (This would be acceptable when talking about them.)

Men? Ehh, not likely as they are not your equal (assuming you are coaching youth). So that eliminates “women” too.

Guys? Probably. While “gals” is the equivalent, it is a bit outdated. Ladies is perfectly acceptable in its place (just as you might use “gentlemen” in lieu of the less formal “guys”).

Boys? Possibly, depending on the age. So “girls” should also be perfectly acceptable, age dependent.

Aug 2, 2019
Now I'm starting to feel bad about my post, lol.

To be fair, I have addressed them as "ladies" many times but really try to refer to them as "players" as much as possible, especially to parents and in written communications.

I'll be honest, it sticks in my craw daily that our high school treats male and female athletes so differently. That's probably a big part of my beef, lol
There was a huge discrepancy between the way the girls and boys athletics were treated in my school growing up. But I guess if us boys wanted to be treated as well as the girls we should have won at least half as many games as they did. Big difference between my school and most, a small rural school where basketball was the biggest revenue generator, not football. The girls were drawing crowds of 3000 in a town of 400.

And I've always called them ladies. To me it implies that we are speaking to them as mature individuals and expect (hope) that they act like it by giving us their full attention. Also, it just sounds like you're more in control when yelling ladies. Yelling "girls" makes it sound like you're pleading and have lost control, which was usually the case in my situation. My only experience is 8 & 10U, btw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478