Girls jumping out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I picked up a couple girls, because i think they have potential. The only problem is they jump out of the batters box every pitch. They used to not do this, but each of them got hit by a pitch this year and now they are terrified. I have put bats behind them during practice and it helps at practice. The problem is when it's game time I can't put the bats behind them. Any advice on what to do to help them break their fear of getting hit by a pitch?

May 12, 2008
Teach them how to take the knock and roll away from a HBP. Once they understand how to react when it does come at them, and of course it will, they may be better able to deal with it.

May 7, 2008
My dd worked through this when she was eight and went from coach pitch to kid pitch. It took time. Keep working with them as you have been during practice. It helped to get her shin pads, and we stressed the importance of keeping her head still and watch the ball all the way down. She pitches and plays short, so her reaction time is pretty good. She has to battle more on the mound than in the batter's box.

Her advice: Hang tough and press in :rolleyes:

Ang

May 12, 2008
Use tennis balls or even whiffles if they are really shy as they learn how to roll away from the knock.

well i tried the laying some bats behind her and it was rough. she was stepping over the bats and when i told her to stop stepping over the bats she started crying. so i felt about an inch tall and her mom got mad with me. i took her off to the side and told her i wasn't trying to embarrass her. i was trying to help her. i haven't tried the tennis balls yet. i will try that in a couple days.

May 7, 2008
ATF...

Try using some pebbles. Something that will not trip her or something she can fall over (that may create a negative distraction). You want to create a positive distraction and something small like pepples, she will be able to feel through her cleats. Put the entire team through the drill so she doesn't feel singled out (eliminating a negative distraction) and instruct to the whole team off of each player. If that principle (instructing off of the team) is used for strengths and weaknesses, it is a great model and brings balance to the team. If a girl on your team isn't doing one thing right, she may need some personalized time outside of team practice.

Tough phase of transitioning.

Ang

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28