getting to an inexperienced pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2009
I am coaching my daughter in the championship of her rec league. the opposing coach has been intentionally walking my power hitters when I pitch to his 1 power hitter. He also is telling the girls who are batting 6 or lower to stand there until you have 2 strikes. He will be pitching a girl who has only been taking lessons for about 2 or 3 months and she is very inconsistent. What can I do to get her to throw more balls. This is a modified coaches league so if we walk 4 in an inning the coach comes in and pitches to his girls to complete the inning. Can I crowd the plate..... or fake bunt.... anything to make the pitcher uneasy.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
This is rec softball. Your job is to teach your players to hit the strikes and lay off the balls. Don't look for cheap ways to rattle an inexperienced pitcher, it's classless.
If his coaching style is for the players to take until they have 2 strikes you better teach your pitcher to throw strikes.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Maybe she has a physical trait her could have your girls make fun of, or have your girls laugh at every wild pitch she throws. If lucky she might even cry on the mound and your goal accomplished, because in a "modified coach pitch" league that is what a good coach should do, destroy the hopes of little girls to get the win.

Mar 18, 2009
Coaching...

Okay I have heard the opinion from all of you coaches that seem to think that I was wrong by trying to get the pitcher off her game. Well let me tell you what happened. I have been the #1 team all year because my team hits the ball. We have had 1 to 2 extra practices every week when no one else practices. I made a huge mistake by pitching my daughter too many innings in the last game but I felt that my hitting would carry me to the win. This was the championship game 10u Dixie softball. The opposing coach pitched around my 3 power hitters each time. I pitched to his only hitter and she pounded us for 6 runs. we lost 13 to 11. We can only bat 10 batters in an inning. if you walk the 10th batter all runners advance 2 bases (this is to keep coaches from intentionally walking the 10th batter if runners are on base. The opposing coach walked the 10 batter who was very inexperienced. she hasn't hit a ball out of the infield all season. He also told his girls to take pitches until they got 2 strikes. The fans were cheering when their children drew a walk. the umpire came over and told me in between innings that this was a team he wanted to see lose because of the way the parents act. He also told me that even though I lost I won the thing that counted the most. By winning the regular season I will be the all star coach and we are hosting the dixie world series. We get a bye all the way to the world series. My parents after the game congratulated me and my assistant for showing class by not pitching around his players. And by the way I had a few batters that were closer to the plate than the opposing coach thought they should be. One of the parents yelled back her off the plate. they hit 3 girls on purpose.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am sorry that they ever have "championship games" at this level.

But, since they do, I would continue to work on hitting and pitching. Strong pitching can win any game.

Surround your strong hitter with other hitters.

Use the short game. Steal and take 2 on passed balls.

It sounds like the other coach has a game plan. (He is playing not to lose.) You need to play to win.

May 18, 2009
If you want to get the pitcher off her game, start hitting her pitches. What girl wants to walk. What coach wants to teach his girls to walk? :( What fun is walking?

Just because you faced a coach that doesn't teach good life lessons does that mean you should stoop down to his level of coaching?

Mar 18, 2009
You are right NVfishing. but it is easy to say hit the pitches but when she pitches around all of your good hitters (every team this age has inconsistent hitters) it is hard. There fans were cheering when there team walked. If was unbelieveable how they only cared about winning. Yes I wanted to win but because My girls had worked so hard and we were the best team. I will tell anyone that I lost that championship. My daughter was my best pitcher. She struck out 20 batters in 7 innings in 2 games during one week. She throws in the upper 40's. She had 6 innings and we had to be beaten twice. but if she pitched 3 innings in the first game she could not pitch in the second game. the first game was close and I took out my daughter and put in an inexperienced pitcher. she walked 2 batters. We should have just made the decision to do the best we could that game and use my daughter the last 4 innings in the 2nd game. His best pitcher was out of innings. I went for the win and my daughter pitched to their only hitter that could hit it to the outfield. the hitter was so far behind she hit it down the first base line and it hit the chalk. You learn from your mistakes and loses. After the championship my parents were saying that their children's coaches had class because we were teaching their children to hit not stand there for a walk. that made me feel good but the loss hurt when I watched my girls cry over the loss.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Just from your description, the rec league rules sound a little messed up. I don't know how other area's do it, but our younger "modified coach" team girl rules seem to work well... There are no walks except for hit batters. After 4 balls, the batters coach pitches, the batter gets two strikes, and her coach has to pitch fairly flat/hard or the batter gets a strike and coach is warned for lobbing it. So everyone has to hit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101