getting to an inexperienced pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Donnie S : I just wrote the same thing on another thread in here somewhere regarding the bat waggle with DD pitching...very funny.

The "take until 2 strikes rule" can be popular with coaches who have players overmatched by better pitching. We see it all the time, especially in the LL All-Star tournaments. Most times our kids are good enough to win by hitting (which is what we teach and stress), but occasionally they come up short. We stress to the kids to play aggressively, take the extra base and swing hard for hits. If the other team makes the play great. Winning is nice but winning by playing passively is not the way to do so.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I am trying to get over the fact that an adult is trying to figure out how to "rattle" a 10year old girl...

Softball should be fun for the kids, and it is until adults get involved - every single time.

Coach the kids and teach them how to play better ball, be ready for the next level of softball, how to win humbly and how to lose graciously.

Don't teach them how to be nasty little brats who will tease if they win and cry if they lose. There are enough parents like that.

Jan 5, 2009
Ohio
I am trying to get over the fact that an adult is trying to figure out how to "rattle" a 10year old girl...

Softball should be fun for the kids, and it is until adults get involved - every single time.

Coach the kids and teach them how to play better ball, be ready for the next level of softball, how to win humbly and how to lose graciously.

Don't teach them how to be nasty little brats who will tease if they win and cry if they lose. There are enough parents like that.

Amen brother!!

Jun 6, 2009
Call me old school, and now it has been a while since a I coached wreck, but having my batters wack the opposing pitchers pitches usually achieved the goal you are trying to achieve. I must confess however that was not my intent.

Failing that you could try poisining her dog. :rolleyes:

Mar 18, 2009

Look no one said anything about teasing the pitcher. We just wanted to get this girl to throw a lot of balls. I had a great hitting team but this girl was very inconsistent and we had hoped to get a few base runners for our big hitters. but the coach didn't pitch to our big hitters. I have listened to a lot of critizism regarding this post and the post just seems to keep going. Our 10u league is very competative. no one wants to embarass a 10 year old. We just wanted to get her to walk a few girls. a lot of people took this too seriously.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Mavrik, they'll get over the loss. Probably already have. But the lessons they learned by playing the game the right way instead of going for a cheap win will last a lifetime.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Look no one said anything about teasing the pitcher. We just wanted to get this girl to throw a lot of balls. I had a great hitting team but this girl was very inconsistent and we had hoped to get a few base runners for our big hitters. but the coach didn't pitch to our big hitters. I have listened to a lot of critizism regarding this post and the post just seems to keep going. Our 10u league is very competative. no one wants to embarass a 10 year old. We just wanted to get her to walk a few girls. a lot of people took this too seriously.

The point that you seem to be missing that all of these fine coaches are trying to tell you is:
YOU have no control over the other teams pitcher and the best thing you can do is teach your team to swing at strikes and lay off the balls.
They'll get their share of hits and walks if you can do that.

Feb 19, 2009

Getting another 10u pitcher to throw balls so your team can walk it's way to victory is not helping you or your kids. Even in our local rec league circle that's considered a no-no although plenty of coaches do it.

Mar 18, 2009
What everyone else seems to be missing is that This game was played over 3 weeks ago. We lost because the opposing coach refused to pitch to my big Hitters. Now remember this is 10u instructional league. I was just trying to get some of my inexperienced girls on base so that he would have no choice but to pitch to my better hitters. I pitched to his big hitter and she accounted for 7 of the 13 runs they scored. I have worked with all of my hitters all season and I had one of the few teams where all of my kids had gotten a hit during the season. Also the other coach told his weak hitters not to swing. We had both used up our best pitchers and were using kids that don't normally pitch. I was trying things to get to my pitcher I was just trying to return the favor.

Jun 6, 2009
What everyone else seems to be missing is that This game was played over 3 weeks ago. We lost because the opposing coach refused to pitch to my big Hitters. Now remember this is 10u instructional league. I was just trying to get some of my inexperienced girls on base so that he would have no choice but to pitch to my better hitters. I pitched to his big hitter and she accounted for 7 of the 13 runs they scored. I have worked with all of my hitters all season and I had one of the few teams where all of my kids had gotten a hit during the season. Also the other coach told his weak hitters not to swing. We had both used up our best pitchers and were using kids that don't normally pitch. I was trying things to get to my pitcher I was just trying to return the favor.

Uhhh......Ok

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2