Getting the curve

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2019
Curve, the palm is under the ball facing up. The spin is 3-9 or 4-10 rotation.

Drop curve with IR is 12-6 fastball As you IR, the index finger points at the catchers outside knee instead of where it usually points.This causes the ball to spin 11-5 and to curve away as it drops.

Good luck

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
A regular curve is thrown with the palm/fingers pointing up at release. A drop curve is a different animal, the fingers point down at release, they come around the outside of the ball with the palm facing in towards the leg. The drop curve sometimes develops when you try to throw a rollover drop. The palm up curve tends to be a slower pitch in general. Palm up can also turn into a rise/curve.
In another thread, someone was describing a changeup in the same way that you are describing the drop curve. It was to get more spin on the ball but less speed. Maybe i am missing the difference. I also see the palm up curve as a faster pitch because of the IR and whipping action caused at release where the drop curve as you describe seems to eliminate the IR wrist whip.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
A drop curve can also result from the middle or ring finger coming off last at the 8:30 spot on the ball. I've never seen a drop curve that either drops or curves much. A good palm up curve puts LOTS of spin on the ball, but is really tough to master.

Jan 28, 2017
A drop curve can also result from the middle or ring finger coming off last at the 8:30 spot on the ball. I've never seen a drop curve that either drops or curves much. A good palm up curve puts LOTS of spin on the ball, but is really tough to master.
How hard is it to throw the palm up curve at the batter and break it over the inside corner?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
For a pitcher who can master it, it would be an effective tool--either inside or outside.

sydney_littlejohn_curve2_zpsbhtmhynb.gif

It takes a LOT of work to spin it well and consistently. I believe being long and lanky helps tremendously. It's truly a fun pitch to throw.

Jan 28, 2017
For a pitcher who can master it, it would be an effective tool--either inside or outside.

sydney_littlejohn_curve2_zpsbhtmhynb.gif

It takes a LOT of work to spin it well and consistently. I believe being long and lanky helps tremendously. It's truly a fun pitch to throw.

DD pitching coach says it is very hard to throw it inside but if you can it becomes deadly. My DD throws it really good some days inside and some days not so good.

Jul 28, 2014
In another thread, someone was describing a changeup in the same way that you are describing the drop curve. It was to get more spin on the ball but less speed. Maybe i am missing the difference. I also see the palm up curve as a faster pitch because of the IR and whipping action caused at release where the drop curve as you describe seems to eliminate the IR wrist whip.
The Drop Curve is a very effective pitch when thrown correctly. It's also a very fast pitch and has lots of spin also when thrown correctly. It is not a roll rover drop gone bad. With the roll over drop you release it with a fully open full resistance body posture. The actual snap is a loose wrist whip snap while taking the index finger over the top of the ball and pushing the index straight down at the ground at the back hip. The difference with the Drop Curve is you also start the snap at the back hip but take the index finger around the outside of the ball while letting the fingers lag behind the wrist which causes it to spin down and away from a right handed batter. Provided the pitcher is right handed. The Drop Curve also makes a great back door curve thrown in tight to the RH batter curving and dropping towards the inside half of the plate. RH pitcher. The palm up curve is also a good pitch however I believe it puts more stress on the elbow so I prefer the Drop Curve. Also. Too much emphasis on IR. The IR concept is fine if you like it and it's all you understand. The roll over drop when taught correctly does incorporate so-called IR without teaching IR. Basically when an accomplished pitcher throws the Drop Curve they are keeping the palm up before getting to the release point. Same with the Roll Over and the Rise. I do however teach the Fastball and Screwball palm down on the backside. You can get just as much whip, speed and spin if you understand how.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
It is not a roll rover drop gone bad. With the roll over drop you release it with a fully open full resistance body posture. The actual snap is a loose wrist whip snap while taking the index finger over the top of the ball and pushing the index straight down at the ground at the back hip.

The first comment that hit me was this. In a roll over drop are you saying that the index finger leads the ball and is actually pulling down the front side of the ball before release?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee