Getting the curve

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2016
Hey DFP -

13yo Daughter has been putting off learning the curve because she has struggled to get it right and she gets frustrated. Well, it's time to get it now. She's moving up to 14u and she is gonna need it. She's been taught the spin - 3 oclock to 9 oclock and the motion but very often she still turns her hand over like a drop ball.

What is the best way to incorporate her learning the pitch into a regular pitching workout? Yesterday we got it going with warmup and fastballs but really just a lot of reps attempting to throw the curve. Started by just the spin, then to 2/3 distance and then 43' w/ full motion at maybe 75% with the intention of moving up to 100% if she got it. At the "just spin" toss part she was consistently throwing it properly. At the 2/3 distance she had a good number that would move and spin correctly and at 43' it was a struggle.

How do you guys recommend working on it? We are scheduled to get back to her PC soon - but until then I'd just like to get her moving in the right direction.

Thanks!

AD

If she’s getting it at 2/3 thats a good start. Practice practice practice its a journey not a race. If it were easy everyone would be doing it. Patients is your best coaching tool have it and teach it. Hard work will pay off. My cue is finish with pinky pointing up at the pocket.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
try a blindfold?

some pitchers are just NOT willing to throw "wild" pitches at full-distance, even when learning a new pitch in a practice environment.
take away her ability to register instant feedback on location, and force her to only concentrate in getting the proper spin while maintaining good mechanics*.

Another strategy is have her throw into a large tarp set at maybe 20' away? Work-up to full-speed this way.
The blindfold idea is maybe limiting because learning to recognize her own spin axis is a big part of learning this pitch.

But take away that glove-target, and she may become more willing to trust what she has been taught, and practice it.

* = I say "good mechanics" because i see soooo many pitchers do all sorts of needless things with their throwing shoulder when trying to throw curve balls.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
"At the 2/3 distance she had a good number that would move and spin correctly and at 43' it was a struggle. "

I don't understand the need to pitch at part distance. That makes no sense to me. Maybe she should have pitched from 43' to start with.

Jul 22, 2015
At the 2/3 distance she had a good number that would move and spin correctly and at 43' it was a struggle

That's your answer. When she struggles you move back to the spot where she last had success and gradually try to move back to 43 ft. It's a maddening process sometimes but there's no sense in moving back to full distance if she continues to fail there. Let her try full distance when she has good success at 30-40 feet, then if she can't get 3/5 to spin correctly at full distance move back in. Remind her that she is primarily trying to duplicate the spin when she moves back to 43 ft and not to be too concerned with the location at first. Trying to learn the spin, speed, and spot of a new pitch at full distance will only frustrate everyone and eventually reinforce bad mechanics.

May 20, 2016
My DD just turned 13 the other day. We started working on the curve about 6 months ago. I am kind of lucky as the CU she throws is basically a curve ball delivery with a bent wrist. But even for that we just worked the "lock it in" drill and threw the ball into a tarp a bunch of times over. It's really just about keeping the arm in and fingers up which is kind of opposite of everything they are taught leading up to it.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Whats up JC,
Get the spin correct from short controlled distance. Then start to increase speed and distance. If she can't spin it right from 6', she sure as hell won't get it right from 43'... Keep referencing the axis points (nose of the ball) oriented up. As long as she releases with the nose up it'll be fine, if her hand turns over a bit afterwards... so what
A verbal que I like to use when teaching the rise and curve is to position your hand like a gun at release. The gun will point to the sky on a rise, and will point into your belly button on a curve. PM me some video of her and we'll see exactly whats going on here

Jan 28, 2017
I think some kids try to throw the ball or spin the ball to a spot with the curve ball. So when you go from 35, 40, and 43 it is hard to control. For my DD, when she throws/spins the ball through the catcher she is a lot better. Not to the catcher or spot. She hits the her spots by throwing through the catcher.

Aug 30, 2014
Central Ohio
Agree completely with starting shorter distance and moving back. Our rule of thumb is three in a row that are wrong and we move back in to previous distance. Also use a tarp a lot to take away the trying to be perfect throwing to a glove. Lots of good advice in here. Got lucky that for my DD the curve was an easy learn for her. Not so much with CU. 😁

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
My question for the OP would be, how are her normal mechanics? Does she have much if any brush interference? If not I would start there. Work to get proper BI and the curve will come easily with the thought of cupping the hand down the backside to release. What I mean by cupped is like the motion your make when trying to show and flex your forearm muscle bringing your wrist and hand in towards you to flex. On the pitch your knuckles should be straight out from the side and not facing the ground. Hope that makes sense.

For my DD this pitch worked nearly immediately after achieving already being consistent with good BI because she had the feel of her pinky side of hand/wrist making contact at the hip and the cupped ball spun around the ‘wrist/hip’ axis point. Without that BI I don’t see an easy way to accomplish the pitch. It the arm comes flowing by the hip with no BI then it won’t get that same 3-9 spin action. Perhaps at the longer distances her BI breaks down. Just IMO that is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812