Getting started on time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I thought this video was a good reference, depending on movement patterns, open stance, closed stance, standard etc. of when a player should be starting the gather etc. Just play it on reduced speed to see when these batters get going during the pitching wind up. For many young players, this could be what they are missing, when struggling being on time.

Sep 29, 2014
It's always kind of dependent I think on how long your gather is and at what speed you gather but one thing the always still I think people don't grasp is how fast the swing actually is....we always talk about toe touch to heel drop being when the forward component begins the ball is half way to the plate at this point.

To the post question though looks like gather usually begins as pitcher starts but seems like front foot comes up around 3 to 12 of pitchers delivery...but it is kinda all over the place.

On a completely unrelated note great pitching mechanics are not required to become a DI pitcher...smh

Oct 2, 2017
I wasn't posting as a question, I simply posted for reference. I do realize that everyone's gather is a different speed.

May 21, 2014

really like this video although it's a bit slow at points. We talk about starting early and slow (use the visual of the pitcher hitting 12 o'clock on her motion around) is when the front leg should start moving. Foot is in the air right around release and then we have a chance of being in perfect time. The adjustment comes from starting at the same point in the pitch and then adjusting the speed of the front foot. This is a much easier adjustment to make then trying to time the whole "load/gather/stride/toe touch" perfectly.

Of course if the front foot lands a bit early we work on being able to pause at toe touch and then how to trigger the swing from a balanced launch position.

Timing is the most under taught aspect of the swing. Our phrase is "a perfect swing not on time has zero chance, while an imperfect swing on time at least has a chance."

Sep 17, 2009
Slow and early is half the battle. Need to create usable resistance and stretch, IMO. Hitter can start slow and early and be so full of slack or their body so un-engaged hat they will still be late with their to-the-ball timing.

Oct 26, 2019
I use the cue “slow feet fast hands” a lot to get the girls to feel starting early and slower

Oct 2, 2017
Slow and early is half the battle. Need to create usable resistance and stretch, IMO. Hitter can start slow and early and be so full of slack or their body so un-engaged hat they will still be late with their to-the-ball timing.
Agree

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I heard Jim Dixon say that in an elite hitter, it takes them longer to create their swing. I think it's a lack of a load or starting to early with most kids. Most kids in a game don't start early enough.

Styles may be different, from launch to contact or from pitchers release onward it's very much what Epstein taught. There are different styles, from release to toe touch is very similar and then toe touch to heel plant very similar.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
I heard Jim Dixon say that in an elite hitter, it takes them longer to create their swing. I think it's a lack of a load or starting to early. Most kids in a game don't start early enough.

Styles may be different, from launch to contact or from pitchers release onward it's very much what Epstein taught. There are different styles, from release to toe touch is very similar and then toe touch to heel plant very similar.
Agreed. The 'flaw' is fairly simple: see ball hit ball. That works until it doesn't. The fix is to start, read, see ball, hit ball

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Agreed. The 'flaw' is fairly simple: see ball hit ball. That works until it doesn't. The fix is to start, read, see ball, hit ball
I like the 3 phases called out, load, righhht (pitcher releases, and ball flight), now (swing). So load, right. now

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478