Getting more movement on fastball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
What are some tricks or tips for spinning fastballs in, away, or down? Finger tip pressure? Various releases?
Fastballs that don’t move get hammered! TIA

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Drop, rise and change. A moving FB can't touch a decent movement pitch. Focus on developing a good drop axis that she can throw with her eyes closed, learn a decent change and introduce the rise.

Aug 21, 2008
What are some tricks or tips for spinning fastballs in, away, or down? Finger tip pressure? Various releases?

I still don't understand why anyone wants a fastball? If you're talking movement pitches, then that's not a fastball. It's most likely a dropball. But you're correct, fastballs that don't move get hammered. So why have one? Why take the chance on it being flat? Why not just throw the drop? (although, is she being taught a "turn over" drop?) . Do you have any idea how many HR's I've surrendered in my life by throwing a ball that didn't move? I cannot fathom having a pitch in my arsenal that is for that purpose. Yes, I understand... dropballs can be flat too and get hammered. That happens. But, why have both pitches?

I would suggest throwing your drop in or out, not spinning it in or out. Trying to make it do too much takes away from it's main function: to drop. Yes, some can make it cut in and drop and that takes time. But it's impossibly to answer how to help her drop movement without knowing what kind of drop she's throwing. A peel? Then the help would be simplified. A turn over? then it's easier, learn the peel. :)

Bill

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

A fastball is not defined in terms of movement. It is simply the fastest pitch you throw, nothing more. A pitch thrown with 12-6 rotation has downward movement. Just as a pitch with 1-7 or 11-5 rotation. although all things equal in terms of spin rate and velocity the 12-6 will has a little more motion. None of these in and of themselves can be considered a fastball. They only become a fastball when the are compared with another pitch. If your fingers are inside the ball you get 1-7 rotation. Behind the ball you get 12-6 rotation. Outside the ball and you get 11-5 rotation. It is that simple and all 3 can be useful. A pitch if it is fastball or whatever you want to call it that does not move, will not mean it gets hammered. Watch a few games of the WCWS and note the location of balls they get "hammered". You will quickly realize that that fat pitches, whether they move or not tend to get hammered. A flat slow pitch at the bottom of the zone is far and way batter than 3 ball movement pitch down the tube.

Aug 20, 2017
I understand what y’all are saying. Instead of getting movement out of the fastball just focus more on actual movements pitches (drop, curve, rise). I’m gonna be coaching a new high school team and I’m slightly fimiliar with the pitchers on that team. They all throw 55-61 as 9th graders and I was looking for a simple, quick way to get a little more movement out of fastball as I don’t think they throw anything but fastball/changeup. We will work on developing those movement pitches. Thanks again

Nov 18, 2015
Is a rise ball going to be slower than a straight fastball?

I’m thinking there must be some loss of MPH due to needing to spin the ball vs just letting it ‘whip’. Is it that insignificant a difference that the gain in movement outweighs the loss in speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 2, 2013
I understand what y’all are saying. Instead of getting movement out of the fastball just focus more on actual movements pitches (drop, curve, rise). I’m gonna be coaching a new high school team and I’m slightly fimiliar with the pitchers on that team. They all throw 55-61 as 9th graders and I was looking for a simple, quick way to get a little more movement out of fastball as I don’t think they throw anything but fastball/changeup. We will work on developing those movement pitches. Thanks again

It sounds like you're in a good spot if you're just starting a high school team and have multiple freshman pitchers who throw in the upper 50's and lower 60's!

Have you talked to the pitchers to see what they "think" they are throwing? My guess is their "fastball" is actually a four seam pitch with the goal of rotation that riseball mentioned above. If that's the case, then it's more about getting more spin out of that pitch and it will move downward in the zone.

Aug 20, 2017
It sounds like you're in a good spot if you're just starting a high school team and have multiple freshman pitchers who throw in the upper 50's and lower 60's!

Have you talked to the pitchers to see what they "think" they are throwing? My guess is their "fastball" is actually a four seam pitch with the goal of rotation that riseball mentioned above. If that's the case, then it's more about getting more spin out of that pitch and it will move downward in the zone.
I’ve been coaching high school and travel ball for a few years now. My teams have faced pitchers throwing low 60s with very little movement and we hit it pretty good but we got shut down by same speed with movement in and out. Ive watched pitchers throw what looks like a cut fastball. It may simply be a curve ball but I noticed their was no change in speed, no stride across power line, and no attempt to finish on opposite hip. This ball had a sharp bite at the very end. I’m just not gonna be satisfied with pitchers throwing hard. I want them moving the ball as much as possible

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
First educate them about spin. Most pitchers have no idea what kind of spin they throw and what kind of spin each pitch should have. Get them to watch the ball after they throw it and learn to identify it's spin. I have had girls come to me that throw curve spin on their fastball and bulletspin on their curveball and are clueless about what should be happening. So get them to understand what spin is and how to identify it so they can start experimenting with grips and mechanics to get some useful pitches. I will put quarter size black spots on balls, this makes it easier to detect the spin.

Feb 23, 2010
I’ve been coaching high school and travel ball for a few years now. My teams have faced pitchers throwing low 60s with very little movement and we hit it pretty good but we got shut down by same speed with movement in and out. Ive watched pitchers throw what looks like a cut fastball. It may simply be a curve ball but I noticed their was no change in speed, no stride across power line, and no attempt to finish on opposite hip. This ball had a sharp bite at the very end. I’m just not gonna be satisfied with pitchers throwing hard. I want them moving the ball as much as possible

This sounds like a 2 seam fastball (grip with the seams instead of across). It is thrown the same as a 4 seam fastball, but finger pressure on the release will determine the direction of the spin/cut. My daughter throws this instead of a 4 seamer at the college level because of the late movement.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28