Getting hit in hands when swinging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
Maybe she can become a pitcher/base runner :devilish:. May even try swinging the bat again. I can't fault her for not wanting to get plucked again.

Can't forget her saying to you "Run Forrest run"

She'd love to become a pitcher/flex, but not sure any 10-U and later 12-U teams would go for that. If she turned into great pitcher at 14-U, yes, likely not an issue.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
To put it shortly, fix her swing and you fix the issue. Buying gadgets that protect her hands when her swing is causing the issue isn’t going to fix it. Can you get her a hitting coach? If not read some of technical hitting threads. Allow her to progress and be comfortable at her speed. If she takes a season off and you and her just practice, then so be it. Lots of tee work until her swing is mechanically sound and then take it to front toss with wiffles. Then front toss with real balls.

Go slowly but no matter what teach her to properly swing. Once could be bad luck. Three times tells you it’s her swing.

Nov 22, 2019
To put it shortly, fix her swing and you fix the issue. Buying gadgets that protect her hands when her swing is causing the issue isn’t going to fix it. Can you get her a hitting coach? If not read some of technical hitting threads. Allow her to progress and be comfortable at her speed. If she takes a season off and you and her just practice, then so be it. Lots of tee work until her swing is mechanically sound and then take it to front toss with wiffles. Then front toss with real balls.

Go slowly but no matter what teach her to properly swing. Once could be bad luck. Three times tells you it’s her swing.

Taking time off and getting a hitting coach may be the best thing. Her team had one during the winter (a 4-year starter a Louisville), but at one point she told her to cast because she was jamming her arm into her side.

Her first pithing coach we used also worked on her with hitting as well. And we've done a lot of various drills off the tee as well for months to help fix things.

I didn't think her swing looked too bad off a tee. See video at link.
www.flickr.com/photos/43444487@N00/50211010982/in/dateposted/

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
It might be best for her to pick up with a few different teams until she can really get her confidence back. The pressure wouldnt be there and she can get out there at her own pace.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Posted earlier, DD fractured her figure. She had a splint on her finger for a while. Doctor said she could play if she could stand the pain.

HC said this has to go. Not so politely I told them to jump into the lake.

She was scared off balls and kept bailing out. She buntted her way out.

I understand your DD's position that this might not be the sport for her. Lot of other good sports out there for her.

The evil sport soccer you are not allowed to use your hands right?

Hope she sticks with softball though, pitchers will get better and not hit her.

Oct 4, 2018
Sadly, my DD seemingly wants to call it quits. She loves pitching and put a ton of time into it, but has no interest in trying to hit again.

She'll get over that. As she improves. You can get her some hitting lessons to help her understand it won't happen much going forward. It's never happened for either of my girls.

Seeing the video and where the catcher was setting up, it was for sure an inside pitch. And that should give you and DD both some reassurance that it won't happen as she improves.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a snob and luckily have some disposable income so easy for me to say... but girls need professional hitting coaches. It helps so, so much.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019
I'm happy to say, she's decided to keep playing. She's doing Top Hand Arm Therapy stuff, which has greatly improved her tee swing. It hasn't translated to live pitching yet, though - hopefully because it's very early. She also made a new team for the fall, and is slated to be their #1 pitcher (for better or worse).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28