Getting hit in hands when swinging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
For the 3rd time in four years, my 10-year-old DD has gotten hit in the hands swinging the bat. The prior two times she ended up with broken thumbs; this time she luckily didn't break anything despite it happening against a hard-throwing pitcher.

My question is how common is this?

Her current swing has flaws, but doesn't seem like it should add a lot of risk.

I'm at a loss.

Jun 8, 2016
For the 3rd time in four years, my 10-year-old DD has gotten hit in the hands swinging the bat. The prior two times she ended up with broken thumbs; this time she luckily didn't break anything despite it happening against a hard-throwing pitcher.

My question is how common is this?

Her current swing has flaws, but doesn't seem like it should add a lot of risk.

I'm at a loss.
Where were the pitches located?

Jun 8, 2016
I'm going to guess inside (I hope)...
If so easy answer is don't swing.. ;) If the ball isn't too inside then she maybe letting her hands get way too far from her body (casting) which could be the issue...

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Without seeing video of her swing, you might want to think about purchasing batting gloves that have padding on the backside of their gloves. I know that they used to make them since I had a hitter who wore them in HS. That was few years ago but I would think that they are still made.

I found this:

2ffd3c530dca91a50f3f1a2b28527433f27da284_WTV4012BLLHH_EXTENDED_HAND_GRD_LHH_Black_Center.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019
Without seeing video of her swing, you might want to think about purchasing batting gloves that have padding on the backside of their gloves. I know that they used to make them since I had a hitter who wore them in HS. That was few years ago but I would think that they are still made.

The one company I looked into, Xprotex, went out of business. She also keeps getting hit in thumbs, where they had no protection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802