Getting hit in hands when swinging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
a4027ff1e502771a0385e5a688b9c3292be8e378_2044130_g2s_a130_h_thumbguard_a.jpg

Do you know anyone that has tried to hit with that? I know it's mostly meant for catchers.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Do you know anyone that has tried to hit with that? I know it's mostly meant for catchers.
No but "necessity is the mother of invention." I have had our HS trainer make all kinds of pads for my players in multiple sports. When there was a need, I told the trainer, make it and we will try it. We did have a hitter who needed a pad on the back of her thumb. We took padding used in physical therapy, cut it to size and then used athletic tape to hold it in place. You can fix a lot with athletic tape.

Jul 22, 2015
For the 3rd time in four years, my 10-year-old DD has gotten hit in the hands swinging the bat. The prior two times she ended up with broken thumbs; this time she luckily didn't break anything despite it happening against a hard-throwing pitcher.

My question is how common is this?

Her current swing has flaws, but doesn't seem like it should add a lot of risk.

I'm at a loss.
It's very likely that she is really dragging the barrel of the bat and/or casting her hands out. She sees the inside pitch and tries to get to it but drags her barrel and only her hands end up in the path of the ball. We talk about getting your hands behind the ball, but not like that!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
No but "necessity is the mother of invention." I have had our HS trainer make all kinds of pads for my players in multiple sports. When there was a need, I told the trainer, make it and we will try it. We did have a hitter who needed a pad on the back of her thumb. We took padding used in physical therapy, cut it to size and then used athletic tape to hold it in place. You can fix a lot with athletic tape.
Oh, hell yeah.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
It's very likely that she is really dragging the barrel of the bat and/or casting her hands out. She sees the inside pitch and tries to get to it but drags her barrel and only her hands end up in the path of the ball. We talk about getting your hands behind the ball, but not like that!
neck slot or deltoid drill until she says , "I like it!" Swing Rail thing might help too.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
The Angels rookie Jo Adel wears a ton of protection on his left arm. One of the hand things, one on his forearm and one on his triceps.
He looks like Robo-Cop.... OK, that might be an exaggeration. :p

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Maybe she should hold the other end of the bat?
Or use that technique technical hitting forum spouts about...
Letting go of the bat befor contact...
;)... 🙈🙉🙊

Hope she recoops quickly and can grow better eye/ bat timing!

Nov 22, 2019
Or use that technique technical hitting forum spouts about...
Letting go of the bat befor contact...
;)... 🙈🙉🙊

Hope she recoops quickly and can grow better eye/ bat timing!

Thanks, it sounds like this time she may only be out a week (maybe 2), but the trend worries me. She claims the pitch was an inside strike.

She just really wants to pitch, but she can't specialize at 10 and she's going to have to become really good to just do that I imagine.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD fractured a finger swinging, just happen once though.

With how often it is happening to your DD it is an Issue. Maybe watch MLB a little bit, you can see them pull their hands in on inside pitches.

(Best wishes to your DD)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802