Getting "happy feet" right before swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
My DD has formed a bad habit of not keeping her feet planted right before and sometimes even through the swing. It's like she's trying to realign herself to the path of the ball to try to get better contact on it.
She's also doing a similar thing when fielding ground balls where she starts tiptoeing back while fielding the ball.

Are there any drills to stop this type of behavior?

Apr 28, 2019
My DD has formed a bad habit of not keeping her feet planted right before and sometimes even through the swing. It's like she's trying to realign herself to the path of the ball to try to get better contact on it.
She's also doing a similar thing when fielding ground balls where she starts tiptoeing back while fielding the ball.

One of my daughters had the same issue and that is how I referred to it as Happy Feet to her. I pointed out what she was doing wrong and still remind her before practice and games to keep her feet still until stride and turn her back foot. Not sure about specific corrective drills but consistent reminders may help. Made a big improvement with her power and consistency.

May 9, 2019
One of my daughters had the same issue and that is how I referred to it as Happy Feet to her. I pointed out what she was doing wrong and still remind her before practice and games to keep her feet still until stride and turn her back foot. Not sure about specific corrective drills but consistent reminders may help. Made a big improvement with her power and consistency.

Yeah she doesn't do it all the time, but she's just recently started to do it. I think she's just getting overly excited to make a big hit for her team.

Apr 28, 2019
Yeah she doesn't do it all the time, but she's just recently started to do it. I think she's just getting overly excited to make a big hit for her team.
Absolutely right on that one. I can’t tell you how many times I ask kids why did you swing at that pitch. Only to hear I really wanted to get a hit. Ok do you just want to make contact or do you want to get a real nice hit? Be patient and swing at good pitches!!! Which comes right after keep your feet still and look the ball all the way in.

Feb 26, 2018
I built a hitting board using a 2x6 that's about 5 feet long with a couple 2x4's underneath it to get it up off the ground a little more. It helped with her focusing on staying balanced and it didn't give her a ton of room to move her feet around so eventually she corrected herself.

Jan 28, 2017
My DD also pitches and sometimes she looks like she is doing walk throughs hitting. Actually steps with her back foot. We started loading her back leg more in her stance. One legged drills seemed to help also.

Jul 29, 2013
Ja
My DD also pitches and sometimes she looks like she is doing walk throughs hitting. Actually steps with her back foot. We started loading her back leg more in her stance. One legged drills seemed to help also.

Happy Gilmore? How does she hit? Good/bad ?
[/QUOTE

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28