Genetics ??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We violently agree. But, you answered a different question.

If a kid doesn't have the items on your list, they won't succeed. But, if they don't have genetics, then they won't succeed at the top in college.

EVERY successful pitcher in college works hard. The real differentiator is genetics.

One thing I really dislike is "sports mythology"--that a person with "grit and determination" can overcome any obstacle. That is simply not true.

My example: my daughter played hoop in Chicagoland. There were 10 or more D1 college prospects. They all worked very, very hard, and had similar coaching. However, one (Candace Parker) is considered the finest women's basketball player in the world. The only real differentiator between and Candace and the other nine was genetics.

Somehow, we think it isn't appropriate to say, "You are going to have to work your rear off just to be an average player at the collegiate level because you shouldn't even be here."

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
genetics

Also remember that your daughter can have a fine and fun pitching career without pitching in the D1 Women's College World Series. In that case, genetics become less important than desire, determination, stick-to-itiveness and other factors.

And that is PERFECTLY fine ....
...she is very excited and is working hard.

As long as she (and her sister) are having fun, we will see where it goes.

It is very social .. 9-12 girls ... line dancing in the dugout, laughing, hugging.
In the parade the girls didn't walk as 4 separate teams...they walked together ....
.....it is a good thing, a nice place for her to be.....

Get rid of adult small town politics and it would be near perfect! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802