General advice for softball parents of talented players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I completely agree with you but for us outfield is not really an option. She is 5’10 and not athletic enough for that. She is a power hitter that is either feast or famine at the plate. It’s either a base hit or strikeout. We work every week on hitting and on defense. Her only other legit position is 1st. It has always blown me away at her size and strength to be able to pitch the way she does since it normally takes bigger girls longer to develop fine motor skills. But great advice for anyone reading to always work on other skills besides just one.
If her goal is to play at the college level, for right NOW (did you get that right now part?) I’d work on pitching and hitting, those two attributes turn a coaches head faster than anything, no disrespect to you catchers, I love you too..........

I promise you, very few girls who play 1B got recruited solely by playing that position, they can flat out hit! They’re big girls (usually) that are in that spot because of their bat!

So a BIG girl who can pitch and hit, you get my point?

Apr 20, 2017
If her goal is to play at the college level, for right NOW (did you get that right now part?) I’d work on pitching and hitting, those two attributes turn a coaches head faster than anything, no disrespect to you catchers, I love you too..........

I promise you, very few girls who play 1B got recruited solely by playing that position, they can flat out hit! They’re big girls (usually) that are in that spot because of their bat!

You are very correct that first is a position that your bat earns you. She is big and very country strong. And has a ton of power with her bat. 70+ exit velocity last fall. It’s just feast or famine for her at this stage. Balls she puts into play are base hits or she strikes out. If she can ever get consistent with contact she will be something.

I know several local girls that are super athletic girls and could be really good outfielders. They have the speed and can track the ball well but are stuck thinking they only want to play first base. They can not comprehend that they will never go as far as possible in the game without changing their mindset. They don’t understand that bigger power hitters will always get the spot over them. I guess many girls still have the rec ball mindset of outfield is for weaker players. But as a pitchers dad we appreciate great outfield. Lol

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
So I somewhat spilled my guts about Anna’s freshman season, she’s calls me this afternoon telling me what a great practice she had today.

Scrimmage practice today, there’s 29 on the roster, team scrimmages are very serious, bragging rights and the coach will accept NO mistakes!

Her first AB, she hit a laser line drive to right center that turned the right fielder around, she caught it but Anna scored the runner at 3B.

Second AB, bases loaded, she parked one off the fence, stand up double, cleared the bases!

Third AB, runners on second & third, coach calls for a squeeze, she puts it on the 1B line, scores runner at third, 5 RBI’s for the day...........everything’s awesome! :rolleyes: Super happy for her, makes sleep much better!

She said the HC screamed her name all during practice, she played SS the entire scrimmage, a foul ball was hit out of everyone’s reach, she ran a mile after it, dove and slid into the fence, coach ran after her and screamed “I need everyone giving me this effort!!”

Finished with weights and yoga, clock out and go eat!

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
So I somewhat spilled my guts about Anna’s freshman season, she’s calls me this afternoon telling me what a great practice she had today.

Scrimmage practice today, there’s 29 on the roster, team scrimmages are very serious, bragging rights and the coach will accept NO mistakes!

Her first AB, she hit a laser line drive to right center that turned the right fielder around, she caught it but Anna scored the runner at 3B.

Second AB, bases loaded, she parked one off the fence, stand up double, cleared the bases!

Third AB, runners on second & third, coach calls for a squeeze, she puts it on the 1B line, scores runner at third, 5 RBI’s for the day...........everything’s awesome! :rolleyes: Super happy for her, makes sleep much better!

She said the HC screamed her name all during practice, she played SS the entire scrimmage, a foul ball was hit out of everyone’s reach, she ran a mile after it, dove and slid into the fence, coach ran after her and screamed “I need everyone giving me this effort!!”

Finished with weights and yoga, clock out and go eat!
This is amazing! Go Anna!

Feb 3, 2016

100% truth right here. HITTING!

I know a great pitcher (can touch 60 depending on the gun) that recently attended a university camp that's a member of the Big 12 Conference/ NCAA Division I.

The HC pitched two over the plate and she drove them well. He stopped and told her to grab her glove and go shag. She really didn't know what to think as she didn't think it was bad nor great either.

After all the other girls in the camp finished hitting the HC called her back up from the OF to hit last.

She hit 8/10 pitches to or over the fence. Crushed them LF, CF, RF.
The HC ( of 20 years ) asked for the attention of the remaining girls at the camp and said "This is how you need to hit the ball if you want play Division 1 Softball".

That coach said he's never had a kid hit like that in all the year's of putting on camps.
HIT- THE -BALL.

That HC called her hitting coach the following week too! :)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
This is amazing! Go Anna!
Jdaddy, I’m somewhat tough (in my mind), I hate crying, whining, and complaining..........I guess I just don’t think like a 18 year old female?

I’ve told her numerous times, I’m extremely jealous of her, being 18 again, away from home, playing college ball, on top of the World, so when I tell her to suck it up, I seriously mean it! College softball is tough, so what, it’s supposed to be!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
100% truth right here. HITTING!

I know a great pitcher (can touch 60 depending on the gun) that recently attended a university camp that's a member of the Big 12 Conference/ NCAA Division I.

The HC pitched two over the plate and she drove them well. He stopped and told her to grab her glove and go shag. She really didn't know what to think as she didn't think it was bad nor great either.

After all the other girls in the camp finished hitting the HC called her back up from the OF to hit last.

She hit 8/10 pitches to or over the fence. Crushed them LF, CF, RF.
The HC ( of 20 years ) asked for the attention of the remaining girls at the camp and said "This is how you need to hit the ball if you want play Division 1 Softball".

That coach said he's never had a kid hit like that in all the year's of putting on camps.
HIT- THE -BALL.

That HC called her hitting coach the following week too! :)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
We’ve all either said it or heard it, if you can hit.......you’ll play!

Jun 8, 2016
Good god! If you are not careful she will develop the ability to look someone in the eye and enage in a meaningful conversation. Crazy parenting your have there! :)
Well I don't have one either so it makes it an easier sell..at the moment at least.

Jun 8, 2016
So that's why I can't get a hold of you? I got you an 11" Omar Vizquel ProSXSC, anything smaller and I would have had to go to
Toys-R-Us! ;) Call me, oh never mind.
My mother-in-law got the 10.25" one I use now from Walmart when Marcela was 5 or 6 I think. :LOL:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28