Gearing up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 4, 2015
Took a pretty good pounding at DD's last pitching lesson. Pitching lane is dirt, but plate is on a thick mat, so there is about a 1" lip about a foot in front of the plate. DD threw fairly well, but had wild streak in the middle of the lesson. I can keep my legs safe if the lip isn't there. Because of the lip, I'm protecting the face and the legs got hammered. Thinking about swallowing my ego and gearing up some. How far do you guys go with gear?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Took a pretty good pounding at DD's last pitching lesson. Pitching lane is dirt, but plate is on a thick mat, so there is about a 1" lip about a foot in front of the plate. DD threw fairly well, but had wild streak in the middle of the lesson. I can keep my legs safe if the lip isn't there. Because of the lip, I'm protecting the face and the legs got hammered. Thinking about swallowing my ego and gearing up some. How far do you guys go with gear?

It is only a matter of time until you are seriously hurt. You can go down to Play-it-Again sports and pick up some old catching or umpire gear for the cost of one trip to the ER.

A friend of mine had his maxilla (the upper jaw, right @DrRiello?) fractured while catching for his daughter.

I wore a face mask and shin guards.

Face reality. You are getting older. Your reflexes are slowing down. You are trying to watch your DD's motion and the ball. Your daughter is getting older, stronger and faster.

Nov 8, 2018
A friend of mine had his maxilla (the upper jaw, right @DrRiello?) fractured while catching for his daughter.

I wore a face mask and shin guards.

Face reality. You are getting older. Your reflexes are slowing down. You are trying to watch your DD's motion and the ball. Your daughter is getting older, stronger and faster.

It is only a matter of time until you are seriously hurt. It is not worth it. You can go down to Play-it-Again sports and pick up some old catching or umpire gear for the cost of one trip to the ER.

Yes sir. Right on target. And I’ve been letting dd throw into a net since starting back this Jan. Her ball is moving so dang much now. Crazy. I keep inviting catchers over to get work in. Shame they havnt accepted. I guess the net will have to do for now. Besides I can’t catch and teach at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA
We have a phrase in the dirt biking world (racing and rec riding) - ATGATT, and I believe it applies to bucketdads(moms) as well.

All The Gear All The Time!! You never know when or if...be prepared. ;-) Recovery gets slower along with reflexes as we age!

May 20, 2016
I have shin guards because i was getting tired of drop balls.

Then this past week i had a catcher working with us and thought it would be a great idea to pretend to be a batter for my DD. She was working on her curve. Threw one that didn't break and got hit right on the edge of the knee cap. Had to sit down for a few minutes and go over all the poor decisions in life that led me to that moment.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802