Gearing up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 11, 2019
It is only a matter of time until you are seriously hurt. You can go down to Play-it-Again sports and pick up some old catching or umpire gear for the cost of one trip to the ER.

A friend of mine had his maxilla (the upper jaw, right @DrRiello?) fractured while catching for his daughter.

I wore a face mask and shin guards.

Face reality. You are getting older. Your reflexes are slowing down. You are trying to watch your DD's motion and the ball. Your daughter is getting older, stronger and faster.
i think we forget they are getting stronger. I still catch my 12u dd with no gear but we start back with our PI next week after a month and a half off and I will at least wear a mask.

Nov 4, 2015
Wore a mask last night. She threw harder and with more control than I have seen in a long time. She laughed at the mask, and it may have been coincidence, but she did better. Maybe it was because she had no fear of hurting me.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I use a mask and shin protectors anytime a kid is working on drop. I have a bruise on my chest that could have easily been a broken clavicle bone. There is no shame in gearing up. Good insurance is great, but who wants to deal with all that crap?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Took a pretty good pounding at DD's last pitching lesson. Pitching lane is dirt, but plate is on a thick mat, so there is about a 1" lip about a foot in front of the plate. DD threw fairly well, but had wild streak in the middle of the lesson. I can keep my legs safe if the lip isn't there. Because of the lip, I'm protecting the face and the legs got hammered. Thinking about swallowing my ego and gearing up some. How far do you guys go with gear?

I don't care how I look, I am not getting hurt. I would wear whatever you need to not get hurt.

It is not going to get easier - they throw harder and with more movement as they get older. You should go ahead and get some leg guards and a mask - used if you don't want to spend too much - before you end up getting really hurt.

Jul 22, 2015
Shin guards are a must. Might look at low end umpire gear to save some $ over catcher's gear. I also use a fielder's mask like many of the girls wear. It's lighter than a catcher/umpire mask and easy to carry.

May 29, 2015
I was hoping not to hear somebody say that ...

If you are going to use a mask, please use an appropriate catcher/umpire mask. A fielder’s mask is not designed for impact protection nor does it provide any throat protection. There is a reason we don’t let players warm up pitchers while wearing fielder’s masks or batting helmets.

You can get an adequate and inexpensive mask at most local sporting goods stores for under $30.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802