Gear of hypocrisy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Ok, saw my first batting helmet without a cage today.

Interestingly it was DD #1’s college team. She was a 2016 hs grad. Most of the freshmen in her class wore cages, most of the older players didn’t. In four years the team flip flopped from mostly no cage to mostly caged.

Nov 18, 2013
College students may legally be "adults", but that doesn't have anything to do with this. There are plenty of demonstrable idiots well past early-adulthood. When I was in college and for a few years later (decades ago), I thought I was indestructible. I took risks that had little to no reward, even in the near-term. I'm very lucky that I didn't suffer an injury that would have literally changed the whole path of my life, or simply ended it. That's the "wisdom" that age and experience brings. Someone who risks life-altering consequences for an imagined near-term advantage is an idiot, regardless of age.

You can disagree with the choices these women are making without calling them idiots. You’re talking about my DD and several other DD’s of posters here.

“Life altering consequences” is a bit dramatic. How many women take foul balls to the face and experience anything greater than a fat lip or black eye? I don’t know of any who have even been hit in the face let alone anything life altering. I’m sure you could do some digging and find a few, but out of the hundreds of thousands of college softball players in past few decades you’d see a lot more if this was a real issue.

Nov 5, 2014
I have no strong opinion on whether the cages should be mandatory in softball but interestingly NCAA requires full cages for hockey.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
You can disagree with the choices these women are making without calling them idiots. You’re talking about my DD and several other DD’s of posters here.

“Life altering consequences” is a bit dramatic. How many women take foul balls to the face and experience anything greater than a fat lip or black eye? I don’t know of any who have even been hit in the face let alone anything life altering. I’m sure you could do some digging and find a few, but out of the hundreds of thousands of college softball players in past few decades you’d see a lot more if this was a real issue.

They're not playing with nerf balls. It's not at all hard to see an injury severe enough to end a season, if not a playing career. Over time, my kid has been hit multiple times in the mask by inside pitches and took at least one very hard tag across the facemask. With an 18U throwing ~60mph, we're not talking about kissing the booboo and putting a bandaid on it. If she had actually taken a pitch on the face instead of a helmet mask, we could would have been heading for the ER instead of the next pitch. That's the minimum of what I mean by "life altering".

Apr 16, 2013
Damn, my DD better start wrapping up in some bubble wrap when she does MMA training. And softball? DAMN, that's some dangerous stuff. She's an idiot though, so ya know.... idiots do what idiots do. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802