Gear for super slim girls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2019
We are looking at new gear for this season and I’m curious what everyone loves for tall/slender girls. Previously she’s just used team gear (that was less than ideal fitting) but we end up having to majorly adjust each time they switch catchers and she’s ready to have her own. She’s 5’, 75lbs, long skinny legs.

Anyone else in a similar situation, what have you found to be best fitting for chest and legs?

(Please no criticizing on the fit in the photo, I know it’s bad, just trying to give a reference to her size)
f30f06295b435bba521cce57f8029611.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
First of all, she should have her own gear. It will help ensure that it fits her properly and is doing it's best to keep her protected and moving efficiently.

For chest protectors, I've folded and sewn straps to make them shorter, when necessary. For legs, look for ones that do not have the panel at the back of the calf (All-Star, Wilson Pro Stock), or be prepared to replace the panel system with just straps.

May 6, 2015
nearly as important as protective gear, get her a mitt ASAP. good one will take a while (ie month to several) to have game ready. and she should deifintely have her own gear, that alone will help her adjust the fit over time without someone else undoing what she has done.

you do not give her age, but based on image, I would not go with youth gear unless you can really cannot get anything to fit otherwise. protection is not as good.

shortening straps on chest protector via sewing is a possible good way to go.

find leg guards that you can tighten up pretty good, measure her shins and order appropriately. kneesavers are probably going to be a problem with legs as lean as hers, again might need to remove D rings and sew them on closer together if she really wants them.

and my own personal pet peeve on catchers gear, avoid black/dark helmets if possible, to help keep her noggin cooler. if you have trouble with helmet fit, a few batting helmet makers sell fit kits, basically extra pads (and extra padding cannot hurt).

and lots of peanut butter, tell he she has to eat a jar a week ;)

Aug 26, 2019
Sorry, she’s almost 12. I did get her a new glove, she hated it it went back. I’m trying again with a different one. Last season was the first season she caught regularly, so when I bought the new one it was mid season and I don’t think she felt like she could break it in to use and sort of gave up on it. Figure trying now will give her all winter to work with it.

I measured and I think she needs 14” leg guards (if I did it right at least). I sew professionally so that’s definitely doable to work on her chest protector once we decide on one.

And trust me she eats a TON, lol. She runs cross country too so gaining weight seems impossible.

nearly as important as protective gear, get her a mitt ASAP. good one will take a while (ie month to several) to have game ready. and she should deifintely have her own gear, that alone will help her adjust the fit over time without someone else undoing what she has done.

you do not give her age, but based on image, I would not go with youth gear unless you can really cannot get anything to fit otherwise. protection is not as good.

shortening straps on chest protector via sewing is a possible good way to go.

find leg guards that you can tighten up pretty good, measure her shins and order appropriately. kneesavers are probably going to be a problem with legs as lean as hers, again might need to remove D rings and sew them on closer together if she really wants them.

and my own personal pet peeve on catchers gear, avoid black/dark helmets if possible, to help keep her noggin cooler. if you have trouble with helmet fit, a few batting helmet makers sell fit kits, basically extra pads (and extra padding cannot hurt).

and lots of peanut butter, tell he she has to eat a jar a week ;)

May 6, 2015
Sorry, she’s almost 12. I did get her a new glove, she hated it it went back. I’m trying again with a different one. Last season was the first season she caught regularly, so when I bought the new one it was mid season and I don’t think she felt like she could break it in to use and sort of gave up on it. Figure trying now will give her all winter to work with it.
which did you get. at that age, a good mitt will be very hard to squeeze at first. have her catch a pitching lesson for a 14 or 16u pitcher. stinging bruised hands will get her into a real catcher's mitt pronto I bet (bring it with you). yes, winter is best time to break them in (DD got hers for Xmas couple of years ago), just lots of reps. she will drop a lot at first, but it will et easier to squeeze the more she uses it.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Daughter wore the LS gear your DD is wearing when she was that size. It fit better than anything else she tried. Easton Prowess chest protector can be tightened up to fit a slim kid. It wasn’t available when she was younger, but she wears one now. She’s still thin. Shins are the most difficult to find that aren’t too big on the knee. Those LS shins fit her best until she was in HS.

I would just order some different models and sizes and let her find what she’s the most comfortable with. It’s a pain to order and return what doesn’t work for her, but her comfort will be worth the hassle.

Aug 5, 2015
I guess I'll be the one to say it, 75lbs at 5 feet is considered severely underweight...My sister went (and is still going) through eating disorder issues, so hopefully your daughter is and stays healthy.

May 29, 2015
Since you sew, you have a great advantage over most catchers’ parents! Make adjustments as you need to with straps, even if it means replacing them with a different strap. There are some interesting things being done on umpires’ gear with neoprene these days.

Try everything on that you can and find what provides the best fit but still provides some room for growth.

Don’t be afraid to mix up brands.

Most importantly, make sure the gear covers everything it should cover and can be worn without it moving around. When she pops up to throw or run, her gear should be moving with her, not flopping around and working against her.

(One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a kid’s collarbone while the top of her/his chest protector droops down to her/his chest.)

Aug 2, 2019
I guess I'll be the one to say it, 75lbs at 5 feet is considered severely underweight...My sister went (and is still going) through eating disorder issues, so hopefully your daughter is and stays healthy.
For an adult, maybe. Not for a prepubescent girl. My daughter is 4'10" 72lbs, 11yo. She's strong enough to hit the ball to the 200' fences. Some kids are just skinny. There are three other girls on her team with the same build.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

IMO, that is not an assumption one can make without knowing a lot more information. I've seen more than a few kids about that size that were healthy and strong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22