Gas pedal and brakes?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Rotational movement is due to change in the direction of the acceleration. Some folks would say it's braking but that's because they don't understand the science. Braking is actually applying force in the negative direction so you get negative acceleration. In a swing you should continually change the direction of the force to get the most bang for your buck.
The red arrows in the drawing show the direction force should be applied to the handle of the bat at each point of rotation to get the most efficient use of the force to rotate the barrel.

1590172944407.png

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Good topic.

I see it as an X. For a RHH the gas pedals would run from the right rear shoulder to the front leg of the anterior side and the back front shoulder to the back rear leg on the posterior side.

the brakes run from the front shoulder to the back leg on the anterior side and the back rear shoulder to the front hip on the posterior side.

each creating tension and compression reciprocally during load and launch. Eventually propelling the barrel towards the ball.

1590244738663.gif

May 3, 2014
Good topic.

I see it as an X. For a RHH the gas pedals would run from the right rear shoulder to the front leg of the anterior side and the back front shoulder to the back rear leg on the posterior side.

the brakes run from the front shoulder to the back leg on the anterior side and the back rear shoulder to the front hip on the posterior side.

each creating tension and compression reciprocally during load and launch. Eventually propelling the barrel towards the ball.

View attachment 17874
This makes sense in that you don't want to have same side acceleration. Don't push/pull with rear leg if you want the barrel to accelerate behind you. Opposite side of the body v barrel.

Apr 11, 2015
Ah yes, indeed a very good topic, and one that’s been pondered for sometime now. Here’s a little sumpin', sumpin' I wrote a few years back at another hitting site that I think might relate to the subject….
12-01-2011, 07:30 PM

The "dragster and bike" analogy is pretty cool, I like it . . . but when and how, does the dragster "rotate" to bring the "bike" to contact?

Would it be better to "launch" the "dragster" in a straight line first and then do something to "rotate" it to bring the "bike" to contact WHEN it's time, or would it be better to crank the wheel hard left, lock the front tires, and THEN stomp on the gas "rotating" the back end around to whole time to bring the "bike" to contact?

Seems to me that one would have far better "adjustability" than the other . . . I'm just saying.

I also wonder which direction would be the best direction to start riding the "bike" in order to remove the "slack" in the rope as the "dragster" launches?

Hmmm, don't think I'd want to ride the "bike" towards the starting line to remove "slack" as in the "analogy" given here previously as a "running start" . . .

Seems to me like that would be putting "slack" IN the rope, yet some describe it that way and think that THAT is how the "bike" is getting a "running start". Slight little problem with that . . . that's definitely not the direction Bautista, or any of the other HL hitters shown in this thread are "riding" their "bikes" as shown in all of the videos.
It’s also similar as to how one goes about cracking a whip. From an already drawn back position, they send the handle forward rapidly, and then suddenly stop it…to send the tip of the whip flying on by, and out to its point of contact where the “CRACK!” (of the bat) is then heard.

One then only needs to decide for themselves as to “What” parts of body correlate to the “dragster” and the “whip” scenarios above in order to swing a bat. IOW….
  1. What part of the body is the “dragster” and/or the whip’s “handle”?
  2. What part of it is the “bike” and/or the whip’s “tip”?
  3. And finally, what is the “rope” and/or the “body” of the whip that’s connecting the “1’s” and “2’s” above together?
EZ-PZ lemon squeezy….no? Or are analogies no good around these part? 😁

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Ah yes, indeed a very good topic, and one that’s been pondered for sometime now. Here’s a little sumpin', sumpin' I wrote a few years back at another hitting site that I think might relate to the subject….

It’s also similar as to how one goes about cracking a whip. From an already drawn back position, they send the handle forward rapidly, and then suddenly stop it…to send the tip of the whip flying on by, and out to its point of contact where the “CRACK!” (of the bat) is then heard.

One then only needs to decide for themselves as to “What” parts of body correlate to the “dragster” and the “whip” scenarios above in order to swing a bat. IOW….
  1. What part of the body is the “dragster” and/or the whip’s “handle”?
  2. What part of it is the “bike” and/or the whip’s “tip”?
  3. And finally, what is the “rope” and/or the “body” of the whip that’s connecting the “1’s” and “2’s” above together?
EZ-PZ lemon squeezy….no? Or are analogies no good around these part? 😁

Guessing here
1. Shoulder chassis
2. sweet spot of the barrel
3. hands

"Stopping... energy transferred up into the barrel. Love it"
"Stopping doesn't transfer any energy that wasn't there to begin with."

I think julray was being sarcastic?

I think it is more of a timing and adjustability idea. It delivers the power in a timely matter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2