Gap year athletes - any insights?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Backstory: DD went down with a knee injury in spring of 2018, had surgery in October, and missed the spring/summer seasons as she recovered. Physically, she was probably good to go by June, but skill-wise, she didn't feel she'd be able to contribute to a team. While off the field, she became a gymrat and began watching her nutrition. She's a lot stronger than she was before the injury. She has joined a team for this fall, but hasn't played a softball game in more than a year.

For whatever reason, she elected to keep a very low profile with respect to keeping in contacts with coaches. I think she told only 1 coach that she was coming off injury and the next time she heard from him, it was to let her know their 2020 class was full. When a player is away from the game, I suppose one would put a lot of thought into life without softball. A few months ago, she notified me she would like to take a gap year in order to do some mission work and a little traveling as a component of that.

At the same time, she is feeling the fever again and states she would like to play in college. I don't know what the anatomy of a gap year looks like, so I'm seeking any thoughts/tips for those who know of athletes who've taken a year off after high school and then gone on to play in college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog