Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Funny Softball Cheers

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Softball cheers are a big part of the game, especially in girls fastpitch softball. I made a little video on it:

Funny Softball Cheers in Girls Fastpitch Softball (youtube video)

and added a collection of them on my site:

Funny Softball Cheers (link to my site)

As mentionned in my video, I think it makes softball more alive, entertaining, unique and special. It is sometimes distracting but overall, it's a good think for the game.

My question to you - Why are girls cheering that much and not guys?

What's your opinion about that? Why is cheering so much a big part of the game?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
They have, in the past

The girls get into these long, dddrrraaawwwnnn ooouuuttt cheers that take most of three innings to get over with. I don't understand why, it's a girls thing, I guess.

I have my all time favorite from when I pitched on our GRADE SCHOOL fastpitch team (1966-69) when I was 9 through 12-years-old. After listening to these inning long girls cheers nowadays, I like ours even more.

Went like this;

(clap-clap)
"WE'RE GREAT!"
(clap-clap)
"YOU'RE NOT!)
(clap-clap)

That was it! Short and sweet, said what we wanted to say and got it over with.

During an ASA Men's A div National Championship, during a game I was not pitching, myself and a few other guys on my team, got into the old famous;

"Rally on two. Rally on two.
RALLY, RALLY, RALLY, RALLY, RALLY ON TWO!"
Everyone in earshot, including the blues, busted out laughing.

Mostly the men and boys make comments. Some can be repeated in church, some can't.

May 12, 2008
Watched a girls team attending a boys baseball game completely rattle the opposing team with organized, sychronized cheers for, it seemed, every conceivable game situation. Really got in the boy's heads to the point they were snapping back at the girls' team outside the fence. Guess the boys weren't used to all that.

Jun 17, 2008
Fond du Lac, WI
Why do you see more girl cheerleaders? Women have that cocky in your face attitude about them. We can move our body and look at you not say anything and you know we mean business. Like my husband always says, your mad at a guy you punch him and buy him a beer, but women stay mad forever. I think its our demeanor. In fact sometimes I liked being cocky and smarta**ed, see its not right for a girl to run someone over at home or take em out on a double play, this way its kinda like saying HA HA. I liked cheering, especially when we were winning it was a way to say yeah in your face without literally going over and pulling her hair. Its a way of humiliating the other team while still looking like your being supportive and upbeat and displaying good sportsmanship. I guess thats the competitive players aspect on it. It keeps you involved in the game, and shows that yeah your teammates are behind you. Yes as a spectator and a coach sometimes you just want to yell "SHUT UP" but in all reality It wouldn't be the same without it, and for men, can you see Manny Rameriz, or Jr. out there yelling " i wanna home run just a little home run" Woo Hoo. It just wouldn't look right. Thats why they slap each others butts, cool but not too much.

May 7, 2008
The simple answer why this is not seen in boys baseball is that the next batter would be extracing a fastball from their earhole!

Dec 12, 2008
Albany NY
I think it's great, but...

I love hearing our girls cheer all game long but I won't let them do a cheer that I consider poor sportsmanship or demeaning to the other team. Our rule is cheer for yourselves, not at the expense of others. Overall the cheers keep the game lively, keep them in the game, and keep them positive. Boys games are way to serious.

Dec 28, 2008
One major difference I think is mental. Boys can make 10 errors but are able to blame the sun, the ground, person throwing to them, person they throw to, umpire, parents, bad glove etc for all 10 errors. Girls have more of a tendency to accept blame for everything and cheering is a great way to get their minds off of errors and keep them in a positive frame of mind. It's hard to have a lot of negative self talk about having just struck out when you get back in the dugout and are chanting "If I were you and you were me ... I'd scoot my booty back ... way back" for the next batter.

Sep 18, 2008
I heard this one at my nieces game.

Turn on the radio
Listen to the news
We're gonna win and
You're gonna lose

May 7, 2008
Norwalk, OH, USA
I was coaching a young 12U rec team and some of my bench players started a cheer encouraging a two out rally. Unfortunately the other team was at bat. My daughter who was pitching was less than amused with her teammates. I reminded the girls that while I expected them to show good sportsmanship encouraging the other team to beat us takes that a bit too far. The other team's third base coach had a good laugh and told them that it was ok to cheer for his team. The cheering girls were just stunned because they just thought it was a cool cheer and didn't realize what they were saying.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
From the Wikipedia page on Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (would've loved to hear this during one of their softball games):

During the 1970s and 1980s, one RPI cheer was:

E to the x, dy/dx, E to the x, dx
Cosine, secant, tangent, sine
Square root, cube root, log of pi
Disintegrate them, RPI!

Hope you found that as amusing as I did.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tigersoftball61