Fundraising Approach: Fair or Unfair: A Philosophical Dilema

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Two teams … team A & team B
Tournaments: 1 (large, requiring airfare), 2 (medium 4+ hours drive), 3(small local up to 2 hours drive)
Both teams have been accepted to play at all three tournaments.
#1 for two will be approximately $1600-$2000 (more than 8 days) (five game min), #2 and #3 for two will be about $600 with 12 game min.
Both teams have several families facing significant financial issues, along with others scraping by, and some doing just fine.
Team A is stronger than team B on the field. Team A slightly financially better off.

Due to the fact that two families on Team A cannot possibly go to the #1 tournament, this team has opted out of to keep the team together and not leave anyone behind due to money. (the players with financial issues consist of a 10,11,12 th player and a starting fielder (neither a pitcher or catcher). The other two tournaments will be filled with tough competition (they felt).

Team B going to all three. One family cannot go to #1 due to significant financial (#1 pitcher). Fundraising going on to the tune of $2000-$2400 and coach wants 14-15 going. So Adds in for several replacement/additional players for those positions.
Several other families also cannot afford it (having trouble paying regular commit fees), but ¾+ decided to add vacation to the trip (being booked for lengthy stay to get better rates). Now ..the tricky part … several families have asked for financial help for #2 tourn as they won’t have enough $$ after the vacation tournament (3-4 days at a resort after #1 tournament). The player not going to tourn #1 was told fundraising for these families is mandatory … “$$ is needed as we don’t want players left behind because they don’t have the money”

We are not on either one of these teams .. although our team (along with others) facing similar dilema’s in our region … after speaking to a couple of parents from each team and both of the coaches , wondering what team I would chose to be on? Leaning towards the loyal one, but the experience for the players than can go would be good so why not leave a kid or two behind (my kid should have that experience and have a vacation too, right?)?

How do teams divy up fundraising?
Is is right for people to add expensive vacations then ask for money for what was required and commited to in the first place?
Is loyalty to a few more or less important than “growth” for the majority?

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
This comment "Leaning towards the loyal one, but the experience for the players than can go would be good so why not leave a kid or two behind (my kid should have that experience and have a vacation too, right?)" was sarcastic ..
regardless of loyalty or going anyway ...I'm not that callus but have heard others make similar sttements over the years in travel Ball around here ...
probably wasn't stated correctly ..

I'm very loyal by nature and a team's loyalty and support for each other does make a team stronger. We are also in this to play softball ... so developing and gaining new experience is also very important ...

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
One year that was a really talented softball player who wanted to play travel ball. I busted my buns and got approval from the softball board to waive all the fees (including uniform and bat bag fees). But, the mother still wouldn't let her play because she needed the DD to work during the summer. Considering how much joy the girl got out of playing softball, it was sad. I learned that not all parents can afford travel ball. It is unfortunate, but a reality.

At 16U and 18U, I would go with Team B. At that age, substitute players aren't particularly disruptive to a team. If the parents can't come up with the money, that is life. At that age, playing at the best tournaments possible is important.

At 12U, I would probably go with Team A. They really sound like a great group of parents.

Last edited:
May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
LOL ... guess 14U is the middle child in this!
Think it is tough choice to make .. I don't have all details of this so important info is likely missing ....
but it did seem like an interesting discussion.

Still seems harsh to completely blow off one kid, while subsidizing those who choose the vacation route and then not have enough $$ for the rest ...

I agree with "that is life", people can only do so much with their resources ...
... but the thing that bothers me and why I lean to the Loyal approach .... spending $$ you don't have to go on vacation then asking for help for the rest via fundraising just doesn't seem moral ...

Anyway ...
Travel ball has been a mixed bag for us .... some good, some not so good ... not sure if our expectations are realistic, either .... but we signed up for another year ..... we'll just have to get what we can out of it and try to forget the rest!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
spending $$ you don't have to go on vacation then asking for help for the rest via fundraising just doesn't seem moral ...

Immoral, stupid and irresponsible as well. There are a lot of psycho parents in sports. (When around a "Psycho Daddy" use an assumed name and never give him your cell phone number.)

Obviously the coach and the parents think they need the pitcher on the team. If you were the coach and asking whether you should keep the player on the team, my advice would be to jettison the parents and the players. But, you are a parent.

Because my kids played travel ball and college ball for umpteen years, I learned to ignore stupid parents. You don't have to associate with the other parents on the team if you choose not to. Tell your DD to steer clear of the pitcher and avoid the drama that goes along with the pitcher and her parents, because there will be plenty. Bring an umbrella, a lawn chair and a thermos of exceptionally tasty "lemonade" to the games and you'll be fine.

Feb 24, 2010
Just wondering if this was explained to the families prior to signing on with the team. I think it's understandable for a family to question or back out of a tournament that is costing $2K when it was added on at the end, kind of like a "bait and switch" scenario (NOT implying that this is the case). But if a parent is told "we will play 6 local tournaments, 3 overnighters with hotels in the $100 range, 1 National for a week costing $XX, etc." and they sign on and THEN have issues with finances and/or vacations, then I would not feel for them as they knew going in what the situation would be.

Personally, DD "fees" have already be set aside for the 2011 season, so if there is a change in the financial situation then she will not be left behind.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
team B #1 pitcher is not going ... they have the significant money issues ...
My understanding is that the #1 paid team fees ... but the addition of the big tournament was after sign on and was told "no airfare tournaments" at commitment ...
team from another area ... I didn't get info from pitcher parents .. just a friend and I chatting ...

think the complaint was that parents going on a big trip, a resort area, then no money for other tournaments ...
the one kid remaining behind was told fundraising to help these parents was mandatory ...

is it fair to replace kids because of money if tournaments that don't require airfare are still very good competition?

have sports gotten this cut throat/

In general .. people make poor financial choices like this on a daily basis (not just crazy softball parents) .. my DD said a kid on our team just got a new flatscreen for her room and they are requesting financial help to play softball ..
my kids dont have cell phones, Uggs, laptops or TV's in their rooms.
Just look around ...people buy things thet can't afford all the time ....

Oct 18, 2009
How do teams divy up fundraising?
Is is right for people to add expensive vacations then ask for money for what was required and commited to in the first place?
Is loyalty to a few more or less important than “growth” for the majority?

Every situation is different. IMHO in the ideal situation fund raising should offset the costs for all the families equally when possible. If they need to help certain families they can do it that way as well. Lets face it some families are just better off financially and if they are willing to help those less fortunate that's great. I'd like to think the families that need the help would put in a stronger effort on the fund raising or similar to help make up for the difference in other ways.

Do I think it is right to add an expensive tournament vacation and take away from what was originally planned? I don't think anyone here would think that was right but it does happen. I'm sure those who added it would argue what a great experience could come from it.

Regarding which is better? Loyalty or "growth"? I don't think what either team is doing is really more right or wrong. In the end everyone wants to do what they feel is best for their children. It sounds like the "A" team chose to teach their kids the value of being as a team and if they cant do it together then they'd rather not do it. The B team parents want their kids to have the "experience" or "growth" of these tournament vacations and the other tournaments as well so they will try to do whatever it takes to make that happen.

Feb 24, 2010
team B #1 pitcher is not going ... they have the significant money issues ...
My understanding is that the #1 paid team fees ... but the addition of the big tournament was after sign on and was told "no airfare tournaments" at commitment ...
team from another area ... I didn't get info from pitcher parents .. just a friend and I chatting ...

think the complaint was that parents going on a big trip, a resort area, then no money for other tournaments ...
the one kid remaining behind was told fundraising to help these parents was mandatory ...

is it fair to replace kids because of money if tournaments that don't require airfare are still very good competition?

have sports gotten this cut throat/

In general .. people make poor financial choices like this on a daily basis (not just crazy softball parents) .. my DD said a kid on our team just got a new flatscreen for her room and they are requesting financial help to play softball ..
my kids dont have cell phones, Uggs, laptops or TV's in their rooms.
Just look around ...people buy things thet can't afford all the time ....

Ok, that helps clear some things up. Since it was announced after committment, I don't think that there should be too much animosity towards that player/family, since for all anyone knows, they may have budgeted in their other expenses/indulgences after taking into account the season expenses. I do the same - budget what it will cost for DD to play, travel, etc., add 20% (to CYA!) and then budget other family stuff - vacations, etc. As long as they were/are able to make the financial committment that they signed up for, there should be no second guessing their choices.

I think it would be fair to replace the player(s) left behind for just that tournament, since that additional, added-after-the-fact tournament was the cause of this situation. As far as the mandatory fundraiser - is it just for that tournament, or for the entire season? And what is the definition of mandatory - mandatory participation, or a mandatory dollar amount sold? If it's mandatory participation to help the TEAM pay to go to the tournament, they may decide that they can afford it after all.

As far as divvying up fundraiser money, it depends on what the team/organization has in place. Our organization has a set percentage going to the player, team, and organization for organization-wide fundraisers, a different percentage going to team and player for team fundraisers, and player fundraisers are kept for the player only, i.e. player sponsorship. And no fundraiser is mandatory in either definition.

It is very difficult to tell someone how to spend their money, even if they do make poor financial choices. If they ask for help, help them as best as you can. In any event, keep the family(ies) in the loop as to what is going on in terms of paying for the trip, etc., as well as replacement player(s), and being on the team for regular tournaments. Maybe when they see that the entire team is pulling together to attend this tournament, and they are "left out", they may change their mind. I have a feeling that being "keeping up with the Jones' " plays big with this family, since they seem to feel the need for tv's, vacations, etc. that they apparently cannot afford.

And re-reading your post before posting my reply, it almost sounds like this may be a way to replace those players altogether, almost like they want to cut them loose but can't without cause, and someone is searching for cause. Are there other issues beyond the long-distance trip and financial?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812