Frustration

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
One more piece of advice that I haven’t seen anybody offer/ask ...

I see a lot of “you” and “we” ... what does your daughter want? Set aside everything else and have an honest heart to heart with her. Maybe you find out ”yours” and “ours” isn’t hers.

Nov 6, 2019
We wouldn't be here if it wasn’t what she wanted. Like I said she works hard and does a lot of work on her own. Pitching lessons she asked for.

Apr 28, 2014
I agree with the "Get her on a rec team also".
This is what we did and it helped DD tremendously. It was a lot of time and effort to get her to all of the games and practices but she built her confidence pitching to those REC players. A travel coach, even at 12U won't stand by and allow anyone to "learn on the job" as they owe it to the other 8 kids to have a good pitcher. One a REC team your DD may be the best player/pitcher. It's the whole small pond big fish thing.

Nov 6, 2019
Thank you all for the replies. She knows she needs work, when I am home she goes in the yard almost every day and has me throw her balls. This is her first year of playing travel and she asked to be there. She isnt the best on her team, she is athletic but has to work for stuff. Not a natural athlete.

Jul 9, 2016
Stay the course.

As Rick Pauley has said regarding practice 3 times a week if no tournaments.

2 times a week if playing in a tournament.

My Daughter was in the same position as yours at her age.

Lot's of Daddy Ball Coaches in 10-12 year travel ball.

Can be very discouraging to not play, but no one can stop you two from practicing and getting stronger and "Hitting her Spots"

This is a marathon and not a sprint.

Sometimes you have to jump to a C team to get Circle Time......Just know what is too much time....and be willing to speak up to protect your DD.

Following the Advice In all the Stickies here is over half the battle.

Oh, and post some Videos of her pitching and make sure you have your flame suit near by...

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Find a new team, as others have said rec might be a good place to get some pitching time.

Also don’t forget out there is a coach who didn’t think Jenny Finch would be a good pitcher.

Mar 20, 2017
Madison, WI
If I were in your shoes, I would have DD finish up any fall obligations she has with the current team and immediately start looking for a new organization. It sounds like the current coach has formed his opinion of your DD and does not view her as a pitcher who can help his team. I'm guessing there are other C-level teams in your area that are in dire need of pitching and would welcome a chance to take a look at your DD. With some work, you should be able to identify an organization willing to invest in her development in a way that the current team is not.

Assuming the overall goal is to play competitively for a number of years, I would continue to focus on TB, even if it means finding a less competitive or newly formed team that is going to take its lumps. While I understand the "reps are important" argument for playing rec, she needs to be facing TB-level batters in order to progress. You've already implied that she can put the ball over the plate, which in my opinion means at C-level she is not going to get destroyed. If she gets hit, so be it. If she can do it in practice, she can (physically) do it in games, and the mental development will come. Pitchers at every level go through struggles, and need to use it as motivation to get better, or decide that pitching is not for them. There is something to putting on a TB uniform and playing all weekend that you just can't replicate in rec.

Sep 29, 2014
If I were in your shoes, I would have DD finish up any fall obligations she has with the current team and immediately start looking for a new organization. It sounds like the current coach has formed his opinion of your DD and does not view her as a pitcher who can help his team. I'm guessing there are other C-level teams in your area that are in dire need of pitching and would welcome a chance to take a look at your DD. With some work, you should be able to identify an organization willing to invest in her development in a way that the current team is not.

Assuming the overall goal is to play competitively for a number of years, I would continue to focus on TB, even if it means finding a less competitive or newly formed team that is going to take its lumps. While I understand the "reps are important" argument for playing rec, she needs to be facing TB-level batters in order to progress. You've already implied that she can put the ball over the plate, which in my opinion means at C-level she is not going to get destroyed. If she gets hit, so be it. If she can do it in practice, she can (physically) do it in games, and the mental development will come. Pitchers at every level go through struggles, and need to use it as motivation to get better, or decide that pitching is not for them. There is something to putting on a TB uniform and playing all weekend that you just can't replicate in rec.
It all depends on location. I could have taken my rec team to any C tournament and did just fine; and my All Star team would have won any true "C" tournament; we actually played A/B travel on weekends to prep for All Stars and were never embarrassed usually (.500 or better). I had several really good girls that went on to travel and varsity and small college schools but most were just great athletes that wouldn't make the commitment to travel at 12U because of soccer, basketball or volleyball.

Aug 24, 2018
Talk to her pitching coach. PC knows the player and is probably taking calls from coaches looking for pitching. PCs are typically invaluable resourcing for more than just pitching technique. Depending on the day, DDs PC is acting as an agent, a counselor, a psychiatrist and a friend. Oh and she helps DD too ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802