Frustration with Glove Swim

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Just as the title says...total frustration with glove swim. DD is 2nd yr 12u and a pretty good pitcher. Walks almost no one, throws about 75-80% strikes and locates well. The issue is, shes frustrated because shes looking for more speed. Her PC (who teaches IR) has reinforced what we already thought. Glove is swimming, pulling her "closed", in turn leaving no hip to brush against. Without the hip and the brush...no whip.

Un-doing the muscle memory had proven to be quite a monumental task. Any tips for her?

Thanks!!

Check out this video, not about glove swim, but good content about posture and brush. May help with her posture at release
https://youtu.be/ijHqW1ZpcV8

Last edited:

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
The Balswick video is a good reference, especially when he talks about the forward lean and trying to push, which I believe is the problem your dealing with. Not so much the swim. Watch Ocasio, she swims, but her posture at release is good, no bend, so the brush is there, all the way to her wrist.

Jul 15, 2016
Thanks so much for the responses. This board is awesome. We now have a list of "to-dos" and keep pushing forward.

thanks again

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I like her glove. Watch the drive leg kneecap get turned rearward (no problem) and stay there until after the ball passes thru (oops). If it gets turned more forward before the arm gets to her steering wheel/hip she will have a better position for naturally achieving brush, in addition the backside will stay engaged. I bet that working the knee will additionally start pulling the glove in tighter. A clip from the other side would confirm or dispel if I am seeing the drive knee action correctly. A final little push completely thru her toe on her drive out would be the starting gate IMO.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2015
Has she always had this windup? It isn’t in the GIF but it is in the video.

I don’t see this style very often so I can’t confirm the correct sequence but it looks awkward to start gathering with the hands together and then drop them apart before the leg drive. Driving out with both hands with no back swing or doing a full backswing is the norm and the overlap makes it look smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2008
Ok so the post by shaker makes this is really obvious people. Look at the shoulder/hip alignment on the first 2 pitchers as they approach release as compared to the young lady who "appears" to have excessive swim. When your front shoulder flies open excessively into release, then a glove that is actually just adducting properly into her side "looks like" it's coming from way outside. If her front shoulder stayed a little more inline with her hips into release, the glove swim wouldn't "look" as excessive as it moves to adduct.

Hi everyone! Hope you're all doing well!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee