Frustration with Glove Swim

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
IMO don't obsess over glove swim. We did for almost 2 years till we found a coach who own kid throws high 60s and she has a swim.
Told us not to worry instead focus on getting stronger and more explosive. Did the trick

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Plain is a prime example of a stud who has excelled without DFP-accepted mechanics. Barnhill is another one who gets away with little-to-no brush. Really glad to see Garcia come onto the scene as a good role model for the young ones.

Side note--Today, one of my younger kids showed me her pitching journal and she had Garcia along with Tincher listed among her favorites to study on YouTube. Very proud of this kiddo!

Last edited:

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket

A view from throwing arm side, and back would be nice. I think she she looks good, IMO, I would work on getting her upper arm closer to her ribcage and see what affect that has on her whip

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma

I'm be no means an expert but she appears to be wrapping her head just a little. Does that contribute to the glove swim?? Maybe, maybe not. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I would focus on catching as much whip as possible by being LOOSE on the follow through. Also, see how her shoulders are coming through and her hips are not? I think she's losing stability because of it which affects speed/spin. Check out the "drive mechanics" thread by Java. It is really amazing! Something I wished we would have had when my DD started. Anyway, she looks really good and has a great start to some great mechanics!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Looks like she's driving to the right a bit then throwing with her shoulder. If you're going for a screw-balling, LHP version of Stacey Nelson--you're on the right path.

My suggestions:
-Drive straight. Use a power line or other marker.
-Drag the toenails into release.
-Squeeze the knees into release
-Stick the plant: Tall at release and don't throw with the torso. Try to resist torso rotation and work for getting to and holding 45 degrees. Later on, she can follow through with the shoulder.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
My DD is same age. Glove swim doesn't concern us too much, she does do it a bit.

Not an expert by any means but would think the thing to get more speed would be the drive and then stick the landing. Sudden stop feeds the whip. Once that front foot hits the ground it should pretty much stay there, no forward steps after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598