Front Toss Portable Screen

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Lots of talk about the value of front toss lately, I definitely agree. We have permanent screens for indoor but I'm looking for a portable screen to take to the field. Have seen Juggs, Bownet and PitchSafe portable screens -- anyone have recommendations?

I'm much rather spend around $100 then $200-plus but also don't want to take shots off my forehead if a cheap portable net doesn't work : >

TKS.

Sep 29, 2010
Do yourself a favor and get the Jugs Portable Pitching Screen. It sets up and tears down in less than 5 minutes and is a TANK. Its what I use and its what was recommended to me by several professional instructors. Its pricey, but well worth the money. I use it for both my son and daughter with baseballs and softballs. Works great!

Sep 21, 2011
The Morrow A-Screen is a good portable pitching screen but it's on the higher end of your price range.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
RichK, how fast do you toss the balls with front toss? How far from the plate do you throw?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I also use the Jugs Quick Snap portable screen. Putting the frame together is pretty easy, although you need strong fingers to push down the snap-in buttons. The biggest pain (for me) is putting the netting on and getting the holes to line up. It's a lot easier with two people.

Oct 12, 2009
Lots of talk about the value of front toss lately, I definitely agree. We have permanent screens for indoor but I'm looking for a portable screen to take to the field. Have seen Juggs, Bownet and PitchSafe portable screens -- anyone have recommendations?

I'm much rather spend around $100 then $200-plus but also don't want to take shots off my forehead if a cheap portable net doesn't work : >

TKS.

I have bought two of the Easton portable L-screens. They are a bit heavy but are strong and fold up pretty well.

Sep 17, 2009
RichK, how fast do you toss the balls with front toss? How far from the plate do you throw?

I like to sit on a bucket from 15 feet or so and throw underhand soft toss, I line the screen left of home plate and tuck up to the right side of the screen and throw off the right side . I think if you stand and windmill you can add a little distance and still work behind a screen (or throw through a screen with a softball pitch "hole", as in the link). If you can truly windmill I guess you don't need a screen, just good stuff and good reactions : >

For me, it's the next step after tee work, and I try to have them hit pitches down the middle, inside, outside while maintaining mechanics. It's always good to see a pitch coming at them, in this case in a controlled enough environment that they can still focus on what they are doing.

I'm sure other coaches have other approaches...would be interested to learn.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
RichK, that is very close to what I do. I typcally sit 10 feet from the batter and start with a soft toss speed and work up to quicker pitches. After working on hitting pitches in different locations I move to quicker tosses. In the end I am trying to replicate the reaction time the batter would face from a live pitcher. I can get a lot done in a short time. At that distance its east to hit the intended spot with the pitch. We will also have a round where we work on changeups and and focus on keepin the weight back and not committing the hands early.

As often as time will allow I have a contest where each batter gets 5 ot 10 pitches. One point for a fair ball grounder. Two points for a fair ball grounder that makes the outfield grass and 5 points for a ball hit into the outfield grass. I will give a bag of Gummy Bears or Sweedish Fish as a prize for the winner. It's a lot of fun to see the girls reacting to a little bit of pressure in a fun enviroinment. It has been a good way to end the practice on an up note. I will soon have to change the scoring as they get older.

Sep 17, 2009
I find from 10 feet, and most often indoors (I don't have a portable net yet hence the OP) great goal is how many times can they hit the net with a solid line drive...that's good, repetitive, helpful work. Front toss is also great way to have them start to understand inside and outside, pull and oppo, left and right of the screen. TKS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23