Front side

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I would like to know your guys opinions on the role of the front leg. I always see talk about the backside etc. but not much about the front. I realize there is 1 or 2 legged approaches, but was curious on the role in either approach.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I would like to know your guys opinions on the role of the front leg. I always see talk about the backside etc. but not much about the front. I realize there is 1 or 2 legged approaches, but was curious on the role in either approach.

clemenslee, think of both legs supporters (2 legged) vs drivers.. The front side of the body becomes more engaged and leveraged when the front foot is on the ground. Hard to do anything with pitches inner half without the front side engaged. The front leg/hip ends up reactively extending against the core contraction.

dN5sXbr.gif

U4wNmhw.png

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Notice the differences here.. The kids rear leg is driving (synced with barrel turn).. Bonds is still getting leveraged while the obliques are stretching against and then swings(contracts the obliques) down to.

XRu9Pmv.gif

J1c5pt0.png

Oct 2, 2017
clemenslee, think of both legs supporters (2 legged) vs drivers.. The front side of the body becomes more engaged and leveraged when the front foot is on the ground. Hard to do anything with pitches inner half without the front side engaged. The front leg/hip ends up reactively extending against the core contraction.

dN5sXbr.gif

U4wNmhw.png

When you say front leg/hip extending are you referring to the front leg straightening out.

Oct 2, 2017
Notice the differences here.. The kids rear leg is driving (synced with barrel turn).. Bonds is still getting leveraged while the obliques are stretching against and then swings(contracts the obliques) down to.

XRu9Pmv.gif

J1c5pt0.png
Would you say thats because the guy in red is 1 legged on the rear leg?

Oct 2, 2017
Yes, a completely different power source/movement pattern.

Does the front leg / hip become the axis of rotation. Meaning the the core is by the obliques is contracting and the straightening of the front is aiding in turning the rear hip?
Inkedimage-asset_LI.jpg

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Does the front leg / hip become the axis of rotation. Meaning the the core is by the obliques is contracting and the straightening of the front is aiding in turning the rear hip?
View attachment 18741

I would say the contracting core is the trigger for both the rear hip/front hip turning. IOW's they do what they need to based on what the pitch calls for.

FUYc2gj.gif

Jul 29, 2013
The best hitters extend the front leg and hip. If they were to hit off the back side, you'd see the back leg do something more than get dragged forward after the hip extension runs out. The back leg creates forward momentum and sets up the torque angle and the load into the front leg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802